White's Featured Customer Stories
Recent Civil War and Housesite Digs Holy Cow! I really did it today! Whites MXT AllPro gets me a 1794 Liberty Cap Another great find found with the XLT Jarnigan & James Research & Recovery September 21, 2014 Hunt

Thread: BeachHunter 300 review

Detectors
    White's BeachHunter 300 / White's MXT Pro / Garrett SeaHunter MKII / Tesoro Bandido µmax / Tesoro Silver Sabre µmax

BeachHunter 300 review

Very happy with the BeachHunter 300

Tony_ in Perth, Australia – Rating of 4.5/5

Well if first impressions count for anything then I am very happy with the BeachHunter 300. I have only had it a short time but it has passed my testing so far. I am a 99% water hunter so I did my research on a detector that would complement my current machines of one PI and a TR unit. Anyhow, back to the BeachHunter and my initial observations;

1. The BeachHunter feels really solid. I like the build quality. Everything is tight and wobble free
    2. Nice and simple operation, great for beginners and experienced users alike
    3. The overall performance (in and out of water) is excellent. By “excellent”, I mean getting good targets at depth through “clean” audio hits. The audio is decisive and doesn’t leave any doubt as to whether it needs digging or not.
    4. I like the ID lights. Red = Don’t dig, Yellow and Green/Blue = Dig
    5. All Metal punches plenty deep enough for me. It is quite a bit deeper than DISC. Use the ID lights in AM to confirm your target !!
    6. The coil is a great size (12”). No buoyancy problems to speak of although I have added a small rubber coil weight
    7. DISC is accurate if you have the Sensitivity and ground balance properly set. Resist the temptation to advance the SENS setting too much as it will be counter-productive
    8. I had no problems with falsing. Again, set the SENS for your environment. Sure I can make the detector false……just by having the GB out of whack and/or dialling in too much SENS. Your ears (and the lights) will tell you
    9. Ground Balancing is easy, although it is only a “1 turn control”, it can cater for some reasonable amounts of black sand. If your local hunt area has serious black sand problems then research should tell you that the BeachHunter is probably not for you.
    10. Make sure the holes on the metal clip on the battery door are fully seated on BOTH plastic lugs on the detector body. This will ensure a proper watertight seal.
    11. Audio is a tad loud through the headphones. I have added some small sections of rubber into the earpads to cut down on the volume output
    12. My AM/DISC toggle switch isn’t too loose and doesn’t snap back from AM to the centre position that easily.
    13. Do take the time to regularly submerge the (or any) unit in a tub of water (especially after swapping out batteries). Look for any small rising bubbles. I do this before every water hunt. It only takes a few minutes and assures you whether the detector is fit for its intended job
    14. The new model BeachHunter 300 appears to have solved the problems that the earlier model BeachHunter had. The problems were confined to a faulty black gasket and a coil prone to floating/pushing upwards when submerged…(the new models have the red/orange coloured gasket)
    15. That is about it for now. Yes, it’s early days, but for now, I anticipate that the BeachHunter 300 will be with me for some time to come. Do your research on what machine you are after and what features you are after. I know I have made the right choice.
    HH, Tony_ Perth, Australia

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    Thanks Tony for the good review and tips
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

.....awesome tips indeed.....

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2
    Great info !! Thanks !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    M6/Dualfield
    good post!
    "Learning is the eye of the mind."
    Thomas drake 1633

Platinum Member
    Detectors
    SPECTRA V3i / BH300
    Good info and insight - agree with everything you wrote and I thoroughly enjoy my bhid 300 also. Thanks for posting and best of luck hunting.

Detectors
    White's BeachHunter 300 / White's MXT Pro / Garrett SeaHunter MKII / Tesoro Bandido µmax / Tesoro Silver Sabre µmax
    Quote Originally Posted by MANDAD76 View Post
    Good info and insight - agree with everything you wrote and I thoroughly enjoy my bhid 300 also. Thanks for posting and best of luck hunting.
    Thanks all,

It takes a good detector to become one of my "go to" water machines.

The BeachHunter 300 has picked up two very nice rings within the past 2 weeks and there will be plenty more to come this summer.

The detector does like beer caps. The very old rusted ones are often signalled with a red light but the recent dropped ones give the solid yellow light. Any tips anyone ?
    I have tried sweeping with the outer edge of the coil but the detector does like the beer caps. Not really a problem. Unlike true iron targets (nails, wire), I'm sure beer caps are an "iron alloy" so the detector is seeing a pre-dominantly non iron target.
    Happy for any advice on this one.

Tony.

Detectors

Cool Does the BeachHunter 300 enjoy a beer?

This is also part of my other thread regarding the BHID 300 review. I thought I'd also post it separately.

The detector does like beer caps. The very old rusted ones are often signalled with a mixed yellow and red light but the recent dropped ones give the solid yellow light.

Any tips anyone ?

I have tried sweeping with the outer edge of the coil but the detector does like the beer caps (Corona especially ). Not really a problem I can't deal with. Unlike true iron targets (nails, wire), I'm sure modern beer caps are an "iron alloy" so the detector is seeing a pre-dominantly non iron target....likely to be a combination of aluminium or tin ?

Happy for any advice on this one from experts.

Tony.

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    Good luck with the new bottle caps.. Some of them new caps on my DFX will actually ring in as a quarter or half
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Detectors
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_ View Post
    This is also part of my other thread regarding the BHID 300 review. I thought I'd also post it separately.

The detector does like beer caps. The very old rusted ones are often signalled with a mixed yellow and red light but the recent dropped ones give the solid yellow light.

Any tips anyone ?

I have tried sweeping with the outer edge of the coil but the detector does like the beer caps (Corona especially ). Not really a problem I can't deal with. Unlike true iron targets (nails, wire), I'm sure modern beer caps are an "iron alloy" so the detector is seeing a pre-dominantly non iron target....likely to be a combination of aluminium or tin ?

Happy for any advice on this one from experts.

Tony.
    Google says "Tinplate steel" so the BHID 300 is correctly reporting a mainly non ferrous target.

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2
    Some of the newer caps are tough .... If its non-ferrous, you WANT to see it ..... Best to dig, cuss and keep goin' ....
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    Spectrum XLT, BeachHunter ID
    Great information with this in depth review. My plan is to purchase a new BeachHunter 300 for next season. I need a machine for both fresh and salt water.

I like my Beach Hunter I.D. I've made some really nice finds with it.