White's Featured Customer Stories
TDI SL Finds Silver and Gold MXT Pro gets me a rare New Haven Grays Button Recovered ring with the V3i FIRST DIG WITH MY WHITE'S BEACH HUNTER 300 Bayonets

Thread: Which metal detector should I buy?Please advise

Which metal detector should I buy?Please advise

Hello all,
    This is my first post and I need your expert advise. I am shopping for a whites metal detector. I am planning on looking for gold and silver ( I am from South Arkansas) in the fields and lakes here. I know that there is no natural preciuos metals here. I will be looking on lake banks, around docks, football fields,ect for lost coins and jewlery. I would also like to be able to hunt for relics and meterites. With so many detectors out there each one with it's own specialty i need help please. I want to make sure i have the best chance while out there spending my time hunting. Thanks

Detectors
    MXT, XL Pro, Modified IDX Pro, V3i & MXT Pro
    Take a good look at the MXT Pro. It is a very versatile detector. Coin hunters like it. Relic hunters like it. Prospectors like it. There is a wide selection of search coils available. With the right coil an MXT Pro can do well in any environment with the exception of underwater hunting ... you can wade with it but the pod & control box are not waterproof. And, it is easy to learn but will continue to reward and teach you for years.
    Bob
    We cannot dwell on our problems while concentrating on detecting.
    Gold Coast Treasure Hunters member

Gold Member
    Detectors
    MXT PRO,950,6x10DD DX-1
    Welcome aboard and the MXT Pro as Hunt4Fun advised is a very good choice!

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    Welcome to the forum ,,,You don't say what your budget is, But the hottest detector out there right now is the new MXT Pro, If your tight on a budget, take a look at the M6 for $200 less.
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Thanks for the advise

I am not going to go by a budget because I believe that my time is invaluable. My time is valuable to me. I believe that after I spend the money for gas to travel to the spots, time from not working, and I hope to make this hobby I enjoy (I hunt artifacts in the fields around here) profitable. I would hate to think that after traveling to a place and walking all day that if I would have had a little better detector I might have found one more item. So I want the best detector possible. Also with the price of gold one heavy ring found would pay the difference between the best and a budget model. Also I do not plan to hunt under water just along the banks, but if this detector has a coil that can go under water that would be great so I could at least go knee deep under water and hunt for stuff. I really appreciate all of the advise and i will follow it. Can anyone recomend what kind of coil would give me the best chance at finding gold jewelry, and meterites?

Detectors
    MXT Pro Coils; Eclipse 950 & DD 6x10
    I'm with everyone above, go MXT Pro. Just posted the same request on Thursday, here's the thread.
    http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/...234#post705234
    I take delivery at about 1pm on Wednesday, have accessories and an extra coil all lined up. Figure I'll be in the field by Saturday morning and looking forward to my first find.

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    If your a beginner the MXT Pro would be a perfect detector to learn on without giving up much in depth.. If your more experienced then go with the DFX or V3i for maximum performance..
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Detectors
    DFX, Prizm IV, Surfmaster II, TDI, and some older Whites models...
    +1 on the 6x10 DD coil. I have that on my DFX and it just ROCKS.

It is big enough to work as a primary coil and has a narrow enough detection pattern that you can separate out signals in trashy areas. It's the best all-around coil in my book.

RJ
    Yes, my detectors DO fit in my Miata!

MXT Pro it is then

Thank you all for the help. I am now going to watch Ebay for a deaql on that detector. If there isn't much difference in price I will just buy it brand new from the company. If anyone has any idea where the best place to get the best price I am listening and if there are any discounts on coils or other parts available.

Great choice on the MXT Pro, I don't think you will be sorry at all

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2
    You'll love the MXT Pro .... !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    MXT, XL Pro, Modified IDX Pro, V3i & MXT Pro
    Hello again williamjones2537,

To get a full understanding of your new MXT Pro, I recommend you buy the book by Jeff Foster “The MXT Edge”. It was written for the MXT but every bit of it will pertain to the MXT Pro. As your experience grows, the book will make more and more sense. I have read it through several times and learn more each pass.

The 12” coil that comes standard with an MXT Pro will work well in low mineralized open fields containing little trash. As ground mineralization increases and/or the amount of targets increase, you will want to use a smaller search coil. I personally prefer concentric coils like the Eclipse 950 and Eclipse 5.3 (6 1/2”) for my hunting area. Some detectorists prefer DD coils like the 10” DD, 6X10 DD and 4X6 DD ... they do seem to work better in mineralized ground than the concentric coils. I do not know your ground so cannot advise you. A detecting club or dealer in your area will be the best source of coil selection advice.

Get a good pair of knee pads. One sharp object can put you out of treasure hunting for quite a while.

Look at Predator Tools for digging equipment. They are almost indestructible. They make the almost legendary Lesche Model 85 Digging Tool.

Get a narrow bladed standard screwdriver. Blunt all sharp edges with a fine file. It will work great for probing and popping out shallow clad without digging a plug.

Consider getting a Sunray DX-1 pinpointer. They work great on an MXT. Will save you a lot of time locating and recovering targets.

Go to the Whites website: http://whiteselectronics.com/
    Enter your Zip Code to see what White’s dealers are in your area. Negotiate with them to get a good deal.

BTW, I have relatives scattered all over AR but mostly in Grant County.

Good luck. I think you will really enjoy your MXT Pro.
    Bob Clement
    We cannot dwell on our problems while concentrating on detecting.
    Gold Coast Treasure Hunters member

Gold Member
    Detectors
    MXT PRO,950,6x10DD DX-1
    I believe all White's coils are waterproof.Someone correct me if I'am wrong.

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    I believe all White's coils are waterproof.Someone correct me if I'am wrong.
    You are absolutely correct ....
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    M6/Dualfield
    welcome aboard and happy hunting!
    "Learning is the eye of the mind."
    Thomas drake 1633

Detectors
    V3i (SpectraSound) / MXT- Pro / IDX Pro - DX-1 / Bullseye II - Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
    Welcome to the forum...the MXT Pro is one awesome machine... And that's for sure.......
    V3i - MXT Pro - IDX Pro - 2014

$ - 15
    H - 2
    Q - 563
    D - 823
    N - 345 (9 %)
    P - 2147
    CC - 3897
    Total$ - 277.75
    Rings - 75
    (Silver) - 17
    (Gold) - 5
    (Tungsten) - 0
    Oldest Coin - 1897 IH Cent
    1923 Liberty Peace Silver Dollar - 1858..1958 Canadian Commemorative Silver Dollar
    Silver Coins - 1 - ..... " You Just Never Know What Will Turn Up Next...or...From Where " ....

Mineralized soil ? Is there a test?

Hunt for fun mentioned "mineralized soil" I assume that that is soil with certain minerals in it that will interfer with the reception of the coil?
    I will take your advice on getting the book and tools. I imagine that most of my hunting will be done in the sandy feilds and old house placesa around here. Spots along the Mississippi river have the most history here so I will be there alot. Can I do a test on the soil here to decide what types of minerals it has before I buy my coil? From hunting Indian artifacts all my life I am familiar with the different soil types by COLOR but not content. The Mississippi River has changed coarse many times depositing different soils in different places as it does so I guess I will learn. I know I ask alot of questions and I just want to get my detector and get started (I owned a whites DI Pro several yeARs ago and loved it) Once I get the detector and coil I will do alot of reading on here and books to learn how to use it. I can't wait to get started and post what I find.Thanks for all of your help forum.

Silver Member
    Detectors
    MXT, Prizm 6T, Classic III coinmaster,DeLeon, SSÁmax, Eldorado
    With possible rare exceptions, the MXT will handle mineralization automatically so you don't have to give that much thought. I'm a William Jones too by the way and after using the original MXT now for several years I have to totally agree with the other entries supporting the MXT and/or the MXT Pro. Happy Hunting,
    BB

Detectors
    MXT Pro w/DX-1, MXT 300 W/DX-1, M6 w/Garrett PP, Dual Field P.I., Excal II, SunRay Pro Golds, Jimmy Sierra HP's, Lesche & Predator force multipliers
    Quote Originally Posted by williamjones2537 View Post
    Hunt for fun mentioned "mineralized soil" I assume that that is soil with certain minerals in it that will interfer with the reception of the coil?
    I will take your advice on getting the book and tools. I imagine that most of my hunting will be done in the sandy feilds and old house placesa around here. Spots along the Mississippi river have the most history here so I will be there alot. Can I do a test on the soil here to decide what types of minerals it has before I buy my coil? From hunting Indian artifacts all my life I am familiar with the different soil types by COLOR but not content. The Mississippi River has changed coarse many times depositing different soils in different places as it does so I guess I will learn. I know I ask alot of questions and I just want to get my detector and get started (I owned a whites DI Pro several yeARs ago and loved it) Once I get the detector and coil I will do alot of reading on here and books to learn how to use it. I can't wait to get started and post what I find.Thanks for all of your help forum.
    I would contact your nearest Whites dealer and see what they have to tell you about ground conditions in your area but, as Bill stated, the MXT will handle dealing with almost any ground you throw at it. I don't think you can go wrong with the MXT and 6x10 DD coil. Remember, the DD coils are made to have an ADVANTAGE over concentrics in higher mineralization but they still work fine in moderate to low levels. (Even if you have ONLY this coil you will not be excluding yourself from almost any type of hunting conditions). I started a friend out in MD'ing with an MXT and 6x10 and it's working great for her. I think it's a perfect setup to start out with that you won't outgrow for a long time...if ever. Don't forget high-quality headphones, top quality pinpointer (DX-1 if you can) and a good digger (Lesche) JMHO
    HH
    Scott

Diggin holes till they dig mine...

San Francico Bay Area and Northern California
    Detectors
    Spectra V3i / DFX
    Congrats on the MXT
    Take Me Home Country Roads

Platinum Member
    Detectors
    SPECTRA V3i / BH300
    Congratulations and welcome to the forum - happy hunting.

Ok I am now looking for an MXT Pro Detector.
    DX-1 Pinpointer
    Lesche model 85 digging tool

Headphones? I'm guessing that they are to better hear the signals? What pair would you recomend I get?
    Will I need an extra battery? When I walk the fields looking for Indian artifact I can walk all day and I imagine I will spend alot of time in the field so I'm thinking I should get an extra battery.
    Thanks again for asll the help.

what kind of coil comes standard if I buy a new detector?

Detectors
    GMT, MXT
    I like the Gray Ghost headphones and the 12" concentric coil comes standard with the MXT Pro. The MXT Pro uses 8 AA batteries and they last about 40 hours.
    Last edited by DavidRamey; 11-20-2010 at 08:09 PM.
    David C. Ramey
    GMT & MXT

Detectors
    I have just over 20 hours on my last set of AA batteries and they are still reading 11 volts at turn-on ....