White's Featured Customer Stories
Holy Cow! I really did it today! Recent Civil War and Housesite Digs Another great find found with the XLT Came behind a metal detecting club and found Whites MXT AllPro gets me a 1794 Liberty Cap

Thread: Dfx sensitivity settings

Dfx sensitivity settings

is there an all around good setting for ac sensitivity on the dfx using the 6x10dd coil?

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2
    Welcome to the forum. Sensitivity is a function of a lot of things, including EMI and mineralization.

If you are in a low EMI, and low to moderate mineralization environment, you can run PAG=3, AC=70, DC=35 no sweat.

If EMI goes up, you can try bumping up a filter or two, or running single freq = 15Khz. If that doesn't help, you'll have to drop PAG=2, and try kickin' AC back up to recover the depth.

If you take a look at the Coin, C&J and Beach settings that are posted in the Detector Programs thread, you'll see I'm running PAG=3, AC=75, DC=40. Those programs are all optimized for the 6X10"DD coil. My soil is very sweet, and most of the spots I hunt are light to moderate EMI.

Try runnin' at PAG=3 and you AC as high as you can w/o gettin' too noisy. When you hit that spot, back AC off a bit. I don't recommend running DC over 40. If you do, your pinpointing is gonna go South because your hot spot will be very large and you'll have edge effect goin' on big time.

Hope this is helpful. Da FoX
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    Welcome to the forum ...Where you from ?? Where I'm at in Oregon, most of my spots will let me go PAG-3, AC 70, DC 38-40 using 15Khz. Sometimes I can get away running PAG 4 if the hot rocks aren't to bad. Anything hotter for me gets the DFX chattery and unstable..
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Southwest virginia

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2
    Garry .... I grew up in Northern VA .... Near Winchester. There are a couple more Virginia folks on here .... Good luck !!!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

San Francico Bay Area and Northern California
    Detectors
    Spectra V3i / DFX
    Welcome to the Forum !! Fox and Nitro Gave You great advise !!
    Take Me Home Country Roads

Thanks for the advise I hope to try those settings out tomorrow afternoon.

Detectors
    V3i (SpectraSound) / MXT- Pro / IDX Pro - DX-1 / Bullseye II - Bullseye TRX Pinpointer
    Welcome to the forum and happy hunting..
    V3i - MXT Pro - IDX Pro - 2014

$ - 16
    H - 2
    Q - 602
    D - 887
    N - 367 (9 %)
    P - 2308
    CC - 4184
    Total$ - 297.61
    Rings - 82
    (Silver) - 17
    (Gold) - 5
    (Tungsten) - 0
    Oldest Coin - 1897 IH Cent
    1923 Liberty Peace Silver Dollar - 1858..1958 Canadian Commemorative Silver Dollar
    Silver Coins - 1 - ..... " You Just Never Know What Will Turn Up Next...or...From Where " ....

Bronze Member
    Detectors
    V3i
    Your doing well with that DFX and I look forward to our next hunt.

Detectors
    TDI Pro V3i MXT Pro MXT two Sun-ray dxi-1 4x6 two 6x10 eclipse 950 10" two 12" super 8x14 deep scan 12" dual field 7.5 DF 3x6 mono 5X10 folded 8 10x14 mono Headphones Gray Ghost Ultimate GG Black widow Sun ray Pro Gold
    got to find out about the DFX here to got a buddy trying to help him out he 70 and it hard for me to keep up with him
    live it, love it, thank it, dig it, low and slow is the way to go

have used the settings that Deolslyfox posted and the dfx worked great. Hunting tomorrow will try to post how it goes.

Detectors
    Good luck !! Let us know how you do !!

Detectors
    M6/Dualfield
    welcome to the forum and happy hunting!
    "Learning is the eye of the mind."
    Thomas drake 1633

Last two hunts went well found silver and seven wheaties.

Detectors
    Super !! Keep up the good work and post your finds !!

Detectors
    DFX, M6, Classic 5 ID
    Hello,
    Is it OK to turn sensitivity all the way up ?
    Thanks again,
    Lupus

Detectors
    You can run your sensitivity as high as you like. It won't hurt the machine at all if that is what you are asking. However, you may find that with PAG, AC and DC "maxed out", your machine is simply too noisy to use successfully.

I'd recommend that you keep PAG = 3, AC under 70 and DC under 40 until you get a handle on your machine.

Remember - "Mo' hotta' ain't always mo' betta' ....". Run as hot as you can w/o too much noise. When in doubt, it is better to run a little too quiet then too hot. You'll lose more faint signals in noise then you will in just your threshold.

Good luck !!!

Thumbs up

Welcome to the forums,plenty of tips and advice, all you have to do is ask.

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    Welcome to the forum Spursky .....
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Detectors
    Whites XLT, DFX, and TDI SL. Garrett Pro-Pointer, Predator Lesche shovels and trowels.
    Hi My Fellow TH'ers
    I have been using the DFX for the past 6 or 7 years and run it most of the time in the factory setting coins and sometimes coin / jewelry and find a lot of goodies. I may not find everything but I normally go home happy with my finds. I search mostly in Loudoun County and surrounding areas.
    Dave
    'Digger-Dave'
    THing4CSA
    PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

Detectors
    V3i w/ D2 DD DFX XLT SPECTRUM SEF 6x8 9.50 5.3 9" spider Garrett pro pointer
    Just my 2 cents worth, I have found that a pag of 2 and then set the ac sen. at what is the stablest setting( no signals or threshold drop ect.)
    I have been in some places i couldn't run any higher then 60-62
    Then other spots 70-74 ac with great stability.
    It is my personal view that being stable will get you more then trying to pump up the AC where you get falsing signals when you aren't even moving the coil.
    Don't be scared of lower setting as i still get great depth.
    Good luck and Happy Hunting