Thread: Running my V3 at 22KHZ makes it go noisy

Detectors
    Whites V3, XP Goldmaxx Power, Lorenz Deepmax X3, Fisher CZ-20, Aquapulse 1B

Running my V3 at 22KHZ makes it go noisy

My V3 runs quite smoothly in the 2.5KHZ, 7.5KHZ and triple frequency mode. However once I run it on 22KHZ only it gets terribly noisy giving me false signals all the time. Even not moving the coil will constantly produce sounds / false readings.

I always do a manual ground balance and tried turning down the sensitivity settings dramatically but it didn't help.

Once I switch to a different frequency than 2.5KHZ the machine gets stable again?!

That's a pitty as 22KHZ is what I am looking for as it is most sensitive to small items like thin coins etc.

Could my coil be broken?

Regards,

Christian

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / 6000D S2
    Does it happen everywhere or just certain spots? If its just certain spots, then it is SURELY an EMI issue. If it is everywhere, then it may be a coil issue.

Based on the premise that you don't have to move the coil to cause the noise, and the fact that the other two freqs are quiet, I am gonna guess that you have some higher freq EMI goin' on. That would be noise above the 7.5Khz freq, equal to or below the 22.5Khz freq and an even harmonic of 50Hz. If that's correct, you'd be looking for something in the 11,250Hz range, or about the 225th harmonic.

Your coil COULD have an issue .... Do you have one to swap it with? If not, try this .... Disconnect the coil and set your box up to run in 22.5Khz single frequency. If it has a smooth threshold, not noisy like when you have the coil connected, then you have about a 98% chance of having either a coil or an EMI issue. (Disconnecting the coil and havin' things quiet = noise coming IN through or from the coil.)

If you still have the noise when the coil is disconnected, you have a problem in the box.

Hope this is helpful. Da FoX
    Last edited by deolslyfox; 09-11-2010 at 02:04 PM.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    Maybe try the salt mode, as Some of the testing showed it made the V3 a little quieter.
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

It sounds like EMI is probably the cause of it. Raise the coil in the air in pinpoint and you'll be about to see the 22.5khz freq jumping more than the other two freq's if it is EMI.

Detectors
    V3I with a DX1, Beach hunter 300, Prizm 6t
    I just got back from a few weeks in England and had the same issue, it almost seemed like a ground balance problem, if i stopped and manual ground balanced i would get 2 seconds of quiet hunting but then it would start to get noisy again. i changed the tracking speed/filter/swing speed etc and didnt see much change, locktrak didnt work either. Lowering the DISC was the only cure and i seemed to still get some decent depth, 22.5 is VERY sensitive to tiny, thin items and pulled out several silver hammered coins so i would love to get that mode to settle down. I will be going back in November for a couple of months and will take extra coils as i only took the D2 this time. I will also have more time to experiment.
    I was running HiPro, 5khz band, recovery 80, 3 freq most of the time and could run DISC at 85 RX Gain at 12, if i ran single freq 22.5 i had to lower the DISC to around 65 to make it run smooth enough to hunt. So because of that i found myself using HiPro 3 Freq more because of the extra information i got from the V3i.
    It didnt 'feel' like EMI, felt more like 22.5 was struggling with the amount of power going into the soil. It ran great in 3 freq.
    Running 3 freq at DISC 85 and having to run 22.5khz at DISC 65 makes you feel like you are not getting what you can out of the detector, without knowing what the difference in detection depth is between 3 freq and single freq mode my brain makes me want to choose the higher numbers.

Good luck with trying to get the Single Freq 22.5 to settle down with maintaining hotter settings...even the (i) version does nothing to help settle it down either...it does hit extremely hard on targets but with all the falsing & red spikes...it's almost virtually not worth using...I love that freq and it'd been my favorite & everyday freq of choice IF Whites could have got it to settle down like the All 3 Freq does...but for now...I'm like you...I'll run in All 3 Freq with hotter settings to maintain better depth without all the falsing & red spikes.
    Last edited by Robert; 09-12-2010 at 07:36 AM.

Detectors
    White's, Fisher, Minelab but now exclusively the V3i
    I've found the V3i very sensitive. More so than any detector I've ever owned in 25 yrs. hunting and the 22.5 is extreme but from my tests I've found that running the sensitivity back until smoothe still leaves you with more depth than most detectors out there. I know it feels like you've got a useless machine sometimes when it's going crazy sensitive but think of it as having a $100 bucks in your pocket when you only need $50.I've run my gain back to 2 or 3 and still had great depth and when you get to a place where you can use more than $50 you'll have that covered too.
    First, I use "ground probe" to see how "hot" the ground is so I can pick the best ground filter. Then "sensitivity probe" to see how my signals are reacting. If I'm losing alot of signal I first try a frequency "offset" to find the quietest channel. The probe will tell you which one is losing the least. That's the one you use because I've found that no matter which frequency you use the quitest "offset" generally stays the same in that area. Then I find the quietest frequency. Generally it's the multifrequency. Again, "Sensitivity Probe" will show you this by signal increase. Then you're ready to set gain to a level that you feel comfortable with in relation to signal loss. Last I may tweak down my DC and AC sensitivity if I have to in order to get it real smoothe. I generally run them at 90 -95 and 75-85 (revised to 55-65 provides much smoother all metal operation with no depth lost). I consistently take miniballs at 10- 14 inches with this procedure in all metal and 7-9 in discriminate.
    The V3i is extremely sensitive but this is your advantage over the others. Learn the machine and the confindence will come.
    Last edited by Bradley137; 09-17-2010 at 03:36 PM.
    Rule #1: It ain't over till your sitting on the couch.

Detectors
    Now that's using the controls / functions / data to your best advantage to optimize performance !!! Good on ya'
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    Thank you all for your replies.
    I have removed the coil and turned on my machine. I got no noise at 22.5KHZ.
    From what I remember I didn't have that problem last year. Hence I assume my coil has went bad meanwhile?
    EMI can't be an option as I have encountered this problem in every spot also very remote ones.
    So my conclusion is:
    1. My coil seems to have went bad
    2. The V3 tends to be noisy in 22.5KHZ mode like Robert and PortADetector have reported.

I think that is a big let down as I seem to missing a lot of the very small targets.

Regards,

Christian
    Last edited by Robert; 09-13-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Detectors
    Christian:

It does sound like you have a coil issue. After you get the new coil, run in 3F and increase RXG / AC a bit. You might also try TXB. That triples the power to the coil, so you might actually have to drop RXG a bit. If you run in Best Data, you'll still get full benefit of each frequency's abilities to ID various metals. Even if you run in Correlate mode, you won't lose the ability to see small objects with the 22.5Khz freq. You may lose some ferrous stuff, but you can accommodate that with your VDI patter.

I have tried to "quiet down" 22.5Khz at higher sensitivities. I haven't been successful.

Good luck !!

Please remember with this being a Whites Detector Only forum...we do not allow discussions or comparisons of other brands.

Detectors
    I am sorry Robert I wasn't aware that this forum was having this limited point of view. I will keep this in mind in the future.

Regards,

Christian
    Gold is where you hide it.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I am sorry Robert I wasn't aware that this forum was having this limited point of view. I will keep this in mind in the future.

Regards,

Christian

....Thanks....

Detectors
    Spectra V3i - TDI SL - Garrett Pro-Pointer
    With the RX=6 and the Disc up to 90, the 22,5Khz freq. is a monster in deep target...
    After the upgrade in V3i it's even better!
    Sorry, I don't speak English

Detectors
    Whites V3, Whites DFX, Whites MXT, Minelab E-Trac, JeTco GTX Huntmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post

Regards,

Christian
    Don't feel bad Christian. I fell victim to this rule as well.

Detectors
    V3i, DX-1, MXT Pro, DX-1,Super 12, D2 10", 6x10, 5.3, 4x6, 6x8 SEF
    Comparisons can be a good thing down grading of is not imho
    6349 pull tabs when the price of Alum. goes up my gear will be paid for.