White's Featured Customer Stories
Old Fort   Ring lost in the park Rare Find with a Great Detector -Coinmaster GT With an MXT, treasure is only inches away. Lost ring at the Deepwoods Estates

Thread: DFX 950 Eclipse series

Detectors
    Cant say..

DFX 950 Eclipse series

How can you tell how old a DFX 950 Eclipse series is? I am about to buy one and would like to verify its age if possible. Can that be done by looking at it or do I need to contact Whites w/serial numbers?
    Thx, Tom

you can contact Whites with the serial number and they can look it up for you...

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    Welcome to the forum ...It doesn't really matter on the age as all the DFX's are the same from 2001 to the present. Same everything unless you got the DFX 300, then you get the 12 inch coil and flat black paint
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2
    You have two good answers. White's can tell you from the S/N, but after you know that, you'll still have the same machine as the last one that rolled off the production line.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    Cant say..
    Thanks a bunch folks, Thats great info! I was under the impression there were changes. I am new to the DFX so I need educated as I am trying to buy one. Ive been reading a bunch latley so much my heads about to explode. But I have used another brand and after much research have decided on a DFX. Now I found one in my budjet, I was trying to get as much info as I could before dropping the bucks. I plan to take it to a local shop to go over it. Any recomendations on material to learn the proper usage? I realize thers gonna be a lot of trial and error, but if I can learn from others mistakes I will soak up as much info as I can. Ive read they can be confusing to a newby.
    Thx, Tom

edited by mod....removed another brand name.
    Last edited by Robert; 08-06-2010 at 06:15 PM.

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    Don't forget the DFX was Whites flagship model for 9 years prier to the V3.. I just got a DFX a couple of weeks ago and have been having quite the learning experience. There are some real good programs for the DFX in the programs section of the forum.
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Detectors
    Cant say..
    Yep I saw those, I have already saved them to disk!
    Thanks!!!

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2
    The DFX Owner's Guide is pretty good. Jeff Foster's "Digging Deeper With The DFX" is another reference with a lot of information, but it drifts into the "techie" realm from time to time. The DVD for DFX is another source of information. Finally, Jimmy Sierra has a nice little primer - "Understanding the DFX". It has some good tips in it as well. More "practicum" and less "techie" than Jeff's book.

I've found that the best way to shorten the learning curve is to read the Owner's Guide from cover to cover FIRST. Next, skip the factory programs and get one of the setups from the forum. They are ALL better performers than any of the factory setups, simply because the factory programs have to "work acceptably well, everywhere, for everybody".

Practice at home with the Owner's Guide nearby. Learn the basics, and how each setting function performs, and how they interact with one another. If you read Jimmy's book a couple of times, then work slowly thru Jeff's with detector in hand, you'll have a GREAT understanding of DFX when you're done.

This whole process will take a good 3 to 6 months of practice, trial and error before you can claim "I got it" status. DFX is a unit that will grow with you. It will give you as much as you put into it.

Good luck and good hunting !!! Da FoX
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    DFX and Ace 250. ProPinpointer
    I just picked up a used DFX a few months back, some good deals to be had with those that are wanting the V3, although the guy I got mine from was local to me, and really liked is 6000 pro better. I went through all the angst you are experiencing, and what I learned is what has already been posted, the box is the same up to the 300 and they changed the name and paint, but the insides are still the same as the first on that rolled off the lines. Some were sold with the DFX coil, others the 950 and now the 300. I have been told that the DFX and 950 Eclipse coil are really the same inside just some cosmetic changes to the outside casing.
    I have have read the Digging Deeper book. and a great deal on the forums. I am still waiting for the "I got it", but there are some things I have got. Takes some time, and I found some great things along the way.
    David

Detectors
    Just keep practicin' .... DFX is an AWESOME unit and if you take the time to learn it, you'll be rewarded with some great finds !!

Gold Member
    Detectors
    TDI, Eagle Spectrum, Goldmaster II, Bandido II Equipment: Mini Highbanker and Spiral Gold Wheel
    Congrats and welcome to the forum... I can see they already have given you the best advise possible..