White's Featured Customer Stories
TWO GOOD WEEKENDS Thanks again White's Silver and Gold together Burlington Northern Rail Road Buckle 1st gold of the year

Thread: Making a Surfmaster PI Pro Coil Sink

Detectors
    Started with a Coinmaster IV in 1979, owned many White's since then. As well as many other brands and models.....back with an older Blue & Gray

Making a Surfmaster PI Pro Coil Sink

So I got one of those foam filled floating searchcoils that came on the used unit I bought dirt cheap. It didn't come with the epoxy filled sinking diver coil.

Pretty annoying to have the coil want to float upwards as well as needing extra muscle to keep it down....

Decided it needed weight, I actually made a quick mold using the coil and scrap cardboard.

My first attempt molding a weight was a bit heavy, to much weight in the tip area.

Decided to make another again using sand and epoxy resin I had on hand using what I learned from the first weight..

I mixed up exactly 10 oz. of sand with 5 fluid oz. of mixed 2 part epoxy. Stirred
    the sand in until it was a nice thick paste like texture. spread the mix into the mold
    with the majority of it pushed back to the rear of the search coil. Tilted the front
    of the coil upwards to make sure the mix would not flow towards the coils front.

I popped it out of the mold, it weighs in at 13 oz.

Placed it back on the coil, filled up a tote with water
    and placed it into the water. 13 oz. is the perfect weight that will make the coil slowly sink
    in freshwater.

The weight has now been painted white, a few days of drying and it will be ready to use.

Still deciding how to attach the weight so it is removable for dry sand hunting. 2 sided tape, velcro, cable ties...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06163.JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	63952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06162.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	63953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06161.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	63954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06177.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	63955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	301 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	63957  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	197 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	63956  

Gold Member
    Detectors
    TDI, Eagle Spectrum, Goldmaster II, Bandido II Equipment: Mini Highbanker and Spiral Gold Wheel
    That is an awesome job in solving that problem.. wtg

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2
    Pretty kewl. We used to use a bag of glass marbles tied to the shaft ....
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    Kooks good,,, Thats one way to skin a cat
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Detectors
    MXT w/950, 4X, 6X, D2 and sunray Coinmaster w/ spider and 4X coils
    great mod i would attach it with velcro cable ties

Detectors
    PRL 1, M6 (Matilda), BHID 300
    very clever!!!
    *************************** To errr is human.....To arrr is Pirate **************************