White's Featured Customer Stories
DFX finds silver and gold A Great Afternoon with a Bonus! TDI SL Finds Silver and Gold Recovered ring with the V3i MXT Pro gets me a rare New Haven Grays Button

Thread: Better than a Metal Detector--My Coin Magnet

Detectors
    Started with a Coinmaster IV in 1979, owned many White's since then. As well as many other brands and models.....back with an older Blue & Gray

Better than a Metal Detector--My Coin Magnet

Well, actually just another tool.

I found a lead looking object one day, threw it in my pouch with all my coins.
    When I got home, my coins were clumped together.

So I had thought, after some one told me his friend magnetizes his digger tool.

So I took the lead object which was a magnet and epoxied it into a wood chisel handle.

This handy tool only works in Canada, where modern day clad coins are made of nickel plated steel.

Now it doesn't beep or buzz or light up but, it does make a loud snap sound when the coin hits the magnet. The magnet will pull coins from loose soil.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pr1.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	62451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PROBE1.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	62452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PROBE2.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	62453

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    You guy's have weird coins
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Detectors
    Started metal detecting in May of 2009. DFX 300, dx1 probe, 12" spider coil, Eclipse Deepscan DD 1400 coil, Eclipse Shooter "DD" (4x6) coil, Eclipse 9.5" coil, Bullseye II Pinpointer,Eclipse DD (6x10)
    Bet you could really clean up at a beach.

Detectors
    mxt w 9.5+6x10 1400 DD
    low denomination euro coins are like that too, i found a coinspill 3" down the other day, 2-20 cent euros, non magnetic, but the 5 and 2 cent euros were magnetic.

Platinum Member VWandSTUDEBAKER's Avatar
    Detectors
    Coinmaster 4000/D Series 2 5900/Di Pro SL, Surfmaster PI, Beach Hunter ID, Vision with V3International upgrade. I have stock 10DD, 6x10, 4x6 DD, Super 12 coils. Whites TRX pin pointer.
    I wonder if you sould sweep the beach with this and suck the coins out of the ground.

Name:	MagneticSweeper.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	62505

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2
    Kewl idea .... Now - whatcha do is split the magnet on the end. Run the + wire to one side and - wire to the other side. When the coin is picked up it will "make the circuit" and the light / buzzer you add to the tool will activate ....

Trivia: That's how "chip detectors" work in aircraft engines .... If the engine starts sheddin' metal, the "CHIPS" light will come on, and you can shut down the engine and feather the prop before the engine comes apart and damages the wing, which generally isn't good for improving the aerodynamics ....
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    V3i, TDI, Surf PI DF, BeachHunter 300
    I gotta get a magnet!!! WTG!!!
    May the ground greet your shovel, the sun warm your face, and may all your targets be treasures!

Detectors
    PRL 1, M6 (Matilda), BHID 300
    Quote Originally Posted by VWandSTUDEBAKER View Post
    I wonder if you sould sweep the beach with this and suck the coins out of the ground.

I want one of these for the beach!!!
    *************************** To errr is human.....To arrr is Pirate **************************

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2
    Uhhhh Sandi .... We (USA) don't have too many magnetic coins, and last I checked silver and gold didn't stick to a magnet real good either.

But ...... If you are going to make your fortune in fish hooks, pocket knives, bottlecaps and bling, you might be onto something !!
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    Whites M6, MXT PRO, Coinmaster, 6x10 DD eclipse coil, 9.5 stock coil,super 12 coil, 4x6 sharp shooter Bullseye II
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro 54 View Post
    You guy's have weird coins
    Hey!!! We have weird coins....what about your paper money? Doesn't those look all the same?...lol.
    A bad day of dirt fishing, is better than a good day at work.

Oldest Canadian Coin, 1942 King George.

Detectors
    Spectra V3i /MXT / Blue and grey
    Quote Originally Posted by vwandstudebaker View Post
    i wonder if you sould sweep the beach with this and suck the coins out of the ground.

lol
    **********Swinging Whites since 1978**********

Detectors
    Spectra V3i DFX MXT
    good idea to put on a screwdriver so the screw dont fall into your workplace.........
    Sacramento, CA

Detectors
    Spectra V3i, DFX, DX-1 Probe, Coils: 10" DD; 6x10DD; 4x6 Shooter
    That's another tool in the arsenal. Neat idea for where it works.

I rarely dig a lot of the newer canadian coins cause they are in the iron territory, the new dimes are a real low VDI. Every now and then I dig one of them iffy targets and sometimes it will be one of them new magnetic Canadian coins though.

Detectors
    DFX 300
    Quote Originally Posted by dmrusty View Post
    Hey!!! We have weird coins....what about your paper money? Doesn't those look all the same?...lol.
    Wait a minute, I just checked out your guys new 5 dollar bill

Name:  fivedollarspock.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  20.8 KB
    Happiness is gold or silver in the plug