White's Featured Customer Stories
MXT Comes Through Again Early Massachusetts Militia button The giving field Coinmaster does it again! Deeper isn't always older

Thread: SEF 10X12 COIL

SEF 10X12 COIL

well i had to buy one of these SEF coils. 10x12 is what i bought. i did air test comparison,was alot deeper than the 9.5 and 6x10 DD. also alot more sensative to tiny items,gold ear rings,rivets,etc. compared 10x12 to the whites 9.5 in my yard....same settings several targets 10x12 gets good lock on and 9.5 doesnt make a sound...i had actually used the 6x10 in this 20x20 section of yard just off my porch..very nail infested due to being built in 1853 so lots of rusty goodies. been over this part of the yard alot with every detector ive ever owned and every coil.got no good targets with 6x10 or any coil for that matter until 10x12 sef. in that area within 15 minutes found a 1864 indian head penny and a 1936 buffalo nickel. both had great smooth tones and you could tell it was a good target with meter reading from 5c to 1c. dug 2 very old wheat pennies that the 9.5 did not make a peep on. with same settings. both of them were lock on 72-74 with 10x12.. also the weight of the coils is sef 10x12 1.3lbs with coil cover, whites 9.5 1.1lb without coil cover. so almost the same. sef is much smoother and deeper and separates better than even my 6x10 DD. i dont know how its made... but i do know its very impressive!! i have 2 MXT detectors that i was testing with..
    Bill, Whites MXT PRO, Gray Ghost Ultimate Headphones,D2

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"

Re: SEF 10X12 COIL

Good luck with that coil. I just hope you don't have problems with it a year or two down the road.
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

this is my hobby..if i was worried about warranty,money,etc i would buy the brand in arizona with a lifetime warranty..lol if it goes bad in a year or 2 and i think it was worth owning i will buy another. whites coils dont have a lifetime warranty so if my 6x10 quits working its time to spend money. you worry about your money i wont worry about mine or how i spend it lmao.. my point of posting was to compare how a couple coils did thats all...and the aftermarket did ALOT better proformance wise.

Platinum Member
    Detectors
    XLT/V3i/MXT Pro/BHID 300 Stock 950 Coil,1400 coil,6x10Coil,5.3 coil,4x6 coil, 10"DD,12".

How is the separation and pinpoint?
    George White
    2013-Finds
    3-Quarters
    0-Dimes
    0- Nickels
    7-Pennies
    0-Wheat Penny
    0- Bullet
    0- Silver
    0-Gold
    1- possible gold

Detectors
    V3,PrizmV,DX-1,6x10

If it works better for you and makes you happy then by all means use it keep us updated on its performance good or bad there are many here that want to know how other accessories work for on Whites machines.

pinpoint is dead on where the lower rod meets the coil..separation is amazing! i love my 6x10 DD but this sef coil separates better. i have a section of yard out ft that is littered with very rusty square nails and tin and you name it. most every coil and detector has failed to find anything good in the area. within 15 minutes had smooth signals on a 1864 indian and a 1936 buffalo at 8in plus depth. plus in other areas of my yard a couple of very deep wheat cents. the depth really impressed me, but to find anything in the ft yard is amazing. another test is im taking it to my brothers where we have hunted hard since the 1980's. i will let ya know if i come back with anything from there.

Detectors
    DFX300 with the 12'' coil, 9.5 coil, 6x10 coil, 4x6 shooter coil, and the Sun Ray DX-1 probe, Lesche Digging Tool.

I would rather be lucky then good....

1st Cor. Chapter 13

Horse Sense Is The Result Of Stable Thinking

Jim

Detectors
    M6, Surfmaster PI

I'm glad to hear that...its the next accessory on my list.
    YTD 1 merc, 1 buff, 1 war nik, 24 wheats, 5-cent token, 10k heart pendant, 38 gr silver chain, $20 clad

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / IDX Pro / 6000D S2

Did you have the 950 AND the SEF on the SAME unit, or were you rotating coils on one unit and keeping the SEF on the other? (AKA - not all MXTs are alike).

I'm not surprised that a 10X12" coil would outpace a 6X10" coil somewhat, but I've not seen ANY size SEF that will leave the stock 950 "in the dust" on coin sized objects. The 10X12" SEF and the 950 should compare favorably in depth / performance.

I've tried about every kind of coil that's out there, and some that didn't even MAKE it out there. The MXT is calibrated to provide optimum performance with the stock 950 coil. If you're tellin' us you have 10X12" SEF that performs MUCH better than a 950 on the identical detector, then you either have an exceptional example of the SEF or a 950 that has somehow gotten out of null.

Good luck and good hunting.

If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

it dont really matter if you dont believe me fox. i have 2 different MXT detectors, i did an air test comparison with both using the stock 9.5 coils and same settings as soon as i got the 2nd one. same results from both..if there was a difference i could not tell with my ears and the plastic 24 in ruler. then after i received my sef 10x12 i did the same thing...sef was deeper on every target,small silver ring,large silver ring,small gold ring,large gold ring,wheat penny,older nickel,silver dime,silver quarter,silver half dollar and silver dollar. plus i tested some very small gold, pieces of a bracelet 14k and sef was alot better on them. as far as coins in my yard the 1864 indian was over 8in deep and the sef was loud and clear where the 9.5 gave no signal. was an extremely nail infested area, buffalo nickel was over 8in deep also and 9.5 gave no signal on it. i tried from all diff angles. sef gave nice smooth signal in most directions with pretty good id, 9.5 gave no signal period. maybe too close to old nails? fox you can make excuses all you want lol my 9.5 coils work just fine. your a whites follower on coils only,all other goodies are aftermarket right? pinpointer,headphones...etc. im not gonna make any excuses, the sef coil does wonderful. i love my whites detectors and love the aftermarker goodies that work with it. and yes i also love the whites coils too.

edited by Mod......removed inappropriate remark.

ok i went to my brothers house for about 4 hours of hunting.like i said its been hunted hard since the 1980's. i came away with a silver dime 1953 next to a chunk of iron,shaped like a D, not sure what it was.dime was 5in deep and was locked on to 81 very loud and clear. 3 wheat cents all very deep and very green,havent checked dates cause couldnt see dates at his house. 2 of the wheats were just slightly deeper than my lesch digger and gave a 50-65 ish on screen with a good signal. the last wheaty was only about 3-4 inches deep and was under a flat rock. weak signal and numbers were 40's to 80's.also dug a couple old horse shoes and a larger piece that looks like part of horse bridal? thats it very good day and the sef 10x12 did really good. had no trouble swinging for 4 hours as its weight is about the same as stock 9.5 coil. now i had both MXT's with me and the 9.5 to check all signals. 9.5 did get a hit on the dime but was all over the place. i raised coil but no help. it would not pick up any of the wheats, maybe a slight chirp on the one under rock. settings were the same. this is what my findings are. sef coil is a winner! it wont replace all the other coils but i have 2 i will take with me now,6x10DD and SEF 10x12. i love the whites detectors,their coils,and all the goodies they sell but just like most everyone on this forum that owns a whites machine they also have aftermarket headphones,batteries,diggers,covers, arm pads,jimmy sierra coils,and the list goes on!

Platinum Member
    Detectors
    XLT/V3i/MXT Pro/BHID 300 Stock 950 Coil,1400 coil,6x10Coil,5.3 coil,4x6 coil, 10"DD,12".

Cool. Good to hear.
    George White
    2013-Finds
    3-Quarters
    0-Dimes
    0- Nickels
    7-Pennies
    0-Wheat Penny
    0- Bullet
    0- Silver
    0-Gold
    1- possible gold

Detectors
    V3,D2,5.3 and super 12. DX1 Probe
    I owned a 15x12 SEF. I posted about it a month ago. Sold it due to I would not go any deeper than my D2 coil on my V3 and was way heavier. Really tried to tweak it as well. I had a 10x14 ECcellerator on my DFX and loved it over the stock coil though.

I just bought one from a dealer. It is on back order and will ship within the week, so they say... I will try to report back as well.

edited by mod.....removed advertisement for dealer.

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    Welcome to the forum Dinger
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Detectors
    V3i, TDI, Surf PI DF, BeachHunter 300
    I'll be interested to se how that coil turns out in the long run. I looked at them the other day and they don't have one yet for the V3, so I'm gonna wait...
    May the ground greet your shovel, the sun warm your face, and may all your targets be treasures!

Detectors
    MXT / dx-1, 6x10dd & 10x12 sef
    I can tell you that for my MXT the 10x12 has been a game changer over the 9.5. You have to take in account ground conditions ect though. I've been going over areas that I pounded into oblivion with my 9.5 and 6x10 and finding stuff that the other coils just plain out missed. The separation is also amazing for a coil that big. Now keep in mind, this is compared to the 9.5 only. The weight can get to me after a few hours though.

Detectors
    DFX / DF / Coinmaster 5500 /d
    Good to hear, I'm lookin for a big coil to hit the fluff at the beach with...

Detectors
    Spectra V3i,VX3,IDX Pro w/ Mr. Bill mods,TDI Sl w/t-foot coil, GMZ and my trusty XLT.
    Have both the 12X10 and 6X8 SEF and have used them for quite a while. When it comes to the 10X12 on the V3 the D2 out performs it on raw depth in my part of the country. With the same settings on my V3 the D2 coil heard signals that the 10X12 could not hear. These were deep coins in a park that were marked then checked with each coil. Not a test garden but the real deal. Of course the 10X12 is not V nulled and cannot handle the Tx boost and this is could be the reason why the SEF coil fell short but power is power and if a coil can't handle the power then it's of no use to me. It's a good coil and it works great on my M6. It has excellent seperation and coverage but I won't use it on my V3 anymore unless I'm hunting surface clad or jewelry. Of course ground conditions vary and so do results.
    Ray

Detectors
    V3, MXT, Eagle Spectrum
    Quote Originally Posted by thumper View Post
    I'll be interested to se how that coil turns out in the long run. I looked at them the other day and they don't have one yet for the V3, so I'm gonna wait...
    I use one on my V3 and MXT and it works great ,it is not Vnulled but it still works Used it at last DIV in that nasty dirt around Culpepper and worked better than the 10DD

Gold Member
    I totally agree on Rudy's assessment of the coil. Rob

Detectors
    Whites V3, Whites DFX, Whites MXT, Minelab E-Trac, JeTco GTX Huntmaster
    In regaurd to the use of an SEF on a V3 detector. I have had the 10X12 SEF for about a year now. My soil is moderate in mineralization strength. In my soil the SEF just edges out the D2 coil for depth. Over all it is more sensitive to smaller targets and pinpoints better. It's a toss up for me. I still use the D2 most of the time, because the 22.5 kHz frequency does not wrap on the D2. You will see this happen often on the SEF. If I get into an area that the coins are running deep I will switch coils and use the SEF. Sensitivity settings need to be much lower than the D2. As a result this also makes the SEF my coil of choice in heavy EMI. It's amazing to see how deep this coil goes with a RX of 7 and a DS of 85 to 88. While I enjoy having the SEF in my collection of coils for the above reasons, the D2 is still my coil of choice. Unfortunately the D2 still continues to fail on a regular basis. I am on my 3rd one now.