White's Featured Customer Stories
Burlington Northern Rail Road Buckle So many coins Thanks again White's 1st gold of the year Silver and Gold together

Thread: Goldmaster GM/4B Question??

Goldmaster GM/4B Question??

Hi Guys, Is this older machine still a half decent detector & is its performance pretty similar on small shallow gold as the latest GMT? Many thanks for any opinons & comments.

JW

Bronze Member

Re: Goldmaster GM/4B Question??

Depends on the price. But nitro should be able to tell you more. I think the gm4 is likely a good choice but I'm sure Nitro will be along to tell you more.

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"

The GM4 was just before the GMT. It is a good gold detector if the price is way below a used GMT. I believe the only advantage the GMT has over the GM4 is auto ground balance and the ground grab button. I got rid of the V-sat just because I didn't like the manual ground balance. With the GMT I can auto balance and lock the track and add or subtract on the balance to suit the ground to my preference. If you get a good balance on the GM4 it will do everything the GMT will do as for finding gold. There's a GMT on Craigs list right now for $450, another member sent me the link. So if anyone is interested, I'll PM you the link. Just ask in a PM.
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2

The potential performane of the GMT is better than the GM4.

However, to answer your specific question, the GM4 is a GOOD (not half decent) detector and properly set up, it will just about keep pace with the GMT / GMZ. You just have to work harder with the GM4.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    DFX300 with the 12'' coil, 9.5 coil, 6x10 coil, 4x6 shooter coil, and the Sun Ray DX-1 probe, Lesche Digging Tool.

Quote Originally Posted by ebonbetta
    Depends on the price. But nitro should be able to tell you more. I think the gm4 is likely a good choice but I'm sure Nitro will be along to tell you more.
    Nitro will surely know
    I would rather be lucky then good....

1st Cor. Chapter 13

Horse Sense Is The Result Of Stable Thinking

Jim

Hi Guys, Many thanks for your replies & A special thanks to you Nitro. I live in New Zealand & I bought a GM 4B off ebay in the States for US$250. It just arrived today. Very good condition & it is the chest/hip mount version which will be great for the wild country I will be going in to. I believe they are good on specimen pieces & my local area has produced a few of those for me when sluice boxing & using my crevicing gear & hand suction pumps.

That creek runs down this gully in that wild country

Thanks guys & Happy Hunting

JW

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"

Thats some nice looking rough gold you got there JW Thats a good price on the GM4 When you do some testing with the GM4, be sure and put the speciman on the ground. The GM line will air test after balancing with the trac locked, but will do a whole lot better if it can see ground also. Be sure and pick up the Goldmaster black DD coil and the small 4x6dd coil when you get a chance and you will have it covered. Good luck JW
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

G'day Nitro, Many thanks for your help & info. I have looked into those extra coils already plus an extra rechargable battery & charger.. Is there a mono coil for the goldmasters or are they all double "D"'s? I am hoping to get up to this spot in the weekend with the GM 4B.

Thanks & happy hunting

Regards

JW

Detectors
    Spectra V3i /MXT / Blue and grey

Good luck and let us know what you found!!
    **********Swinging Whites since 1978**********

Detectors

Good morning JW. The 8x14 Goldmaster, if it is white in color will be a mono coil. The black is a dd. If you can find one, Jimmy Serria made a Hot Shot coil for the GM line that is 12 inches that is also a mono.

FNH FNX 40