White's Featured Customer Stories
Whites MXT AllPro gets me a 1794 Liberty Cap Jarnigan & James Research & Recovery September 21, 2014 Hunt Two Cavalry swords found with my DFX Another great find found with the XLT Recent Civil War and Housesite Digs

Thread: Best digging tool for hard rocky soil?

Best digging tool for hard rocky soil?

I have done some research on this site for best digging tools, and when I read about them, people say the soil they dig in is pretty good. Well, I don't have good soil here in San Diego. It is very hard, dry and rocky. What would be the best tool to use that will not snap or bend? No matter where I go, exept the beach, it is HARD. Any advise? I like the looks and price of the Sierra Dig-It knife for $12.95 on www.amleo.com, will it be good enough?

Thanks.
    Clad counter 2007<br /><br />Pennies: 9<br />Nickles: 3<br />Dimes: 1<br />Quarters: 9<br /><br />Total Coin: 22<br />Total amount: $2.59

Re: Best digging tool for hard rocky soil?

The digging tool you are looking at, is a good choice for most soils, until you get into the type of soild conditions you describe. Then you might want to consider something more along the line of a Lesche digging tool. They are almost indestructable. You get what you pay for, and Lesche is quality all the way. Jeff
    I live my life one target at a time since '67

Silver Member

Fo rme the best tools in these condition is of course the lesche. I would recommend the more expensive of the two hardcore one they sell. They put an edge at the bottom of the handle so that you can actually use your foot to push the trowel into the ground. Also they can stand up to a lot of prying. Which reminds me, my brother needs to return mine, I have been using a cheesy one from whites lately.
    www.coinfacts.com

Platinum Member

The Sierra Dig It has previously been recalled as a small % of them were not tempered correctly by the MFG. Sierra used to make a 15" Long one but the supplier materials dried up.

Quote Originally Posted by roatan4us
    I have done some research on this site for best digging tools, and when I read about them, people say the soil they dig in is pretty good. Well, I don't have good soil here in San Diego. It is very hard, dry and rocky. What would be the best tool to use that will not snap or bend? No matter where I go, exept the beach, it is HARD. Any advise? I like the looks and price of the Sierra Dig-It knife for $12.95 on www.amleo.com, will it be good enough?

Thanks.
    send Greg a private message - He will be able to hook you up........
    REMEMBER THE GOLDEN RULE - WHO EVER HAS THE GOLD MAKES THE RULES..