White's Featured Customer Stories
1848 Liberty Seated Half Dime Really deep find   Ring lost in the park Early Birthday With an MXT, treasure is only inches away.

Thread: M6 toggle switch change out

Detectors
    Me: TDI, DFX, XLT, XL Pro, BHID 300, Surf P.I. (Plus), 6000 Di Pro (blue box)

M6 toggle switch change out

As most may or may not know, my girlfriend's M6 is equipped with a SunRay probe. The way the M6 works requires holding the detector's toggle switch in PP with one hand and operating the probe with the other. My solution was to replace the PP momentary contact three position switch with one that will stay in any position selected. Carl@White's kindly provided me with a new switch. I also identified Radio Shack Mini Center-off SPDT switch #275-325 as a workable alternative.
    If you can solder, this change out is super easy, so here is my mini how to...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switchout 001.jpg 
Views:	892 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	28431  
    "To do is to be" - Nietzche
    "To be is to do" - Kant
    "Do Be Do Be Do" - Scooby Doo

Detectors

Re: M6 toggle switch change out

The cushion around the switch housing simply slides off..

Name:	switchout 002.jpg 
Views:	846 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	28432  
    "To be is to do" - Kant

Detectors

The bracket the switch mounts to is a friction fit, a small screwdriver or tweaker will pry it right out.

Name:	switchout 003.jpg 
Views:	844 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	28433  
    "To be is to do" - Kant

Detectors

The bracket and the switch with switch orientation

Name:	switchout 004.jpg 
Views:	838 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	28434  
    "To be is to do" - Kant

Detectors

The top of the bracket slopes upward toward the coil.
    That is, it conforms to the shape of the housing and rod.

Name:	switchout 005.jpg 
Views:	817 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	28435  
    "To be is to do" - Kant

Detectors

An adjustable wrench will remove the locknut.

Name:	switchout 007.jpg 
Views:	821 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	28436  
    "To be is to do" - Kant

Detectors

The switch I got from Carl is a bit longer than the stock one. That hasn't presented a problem in operation.
    The one from Radio Shack may be a bit shorter. This shouldn't present any problem either.
    Simply solder the new one in, tighten into the bracket, slide it back into the housing, slide the cushion back on, and go hunting!

Name:	switchout 009.jpg 
Views:	837 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	28437  
    "To be is to do" - Kant

Detectors
    White's Spectra V3i & Prizm II

So did you replace the momentary-off-on switch with a straight up on-off-on switch? This is an interesting mod that I might like to perform myself. I do like using the DX-1 without being in PP mode for discrimination purposes, but it is a bit of a hassle to have to hold down the switch while pinpointing with the probe. Keep us posted on how it works out.

"Poker" Jim
    Poker Jim

Detectors
    MXT

Very informative, great pics, thanks.
    For Queen and Country

Detectors

Quote Originally Posted by Poker Jim
    So did you replace the momentary-off-on switch with a straight up on-off-on switch? This is an interesting mod that I might like to perform myself. I do like using the DX-1 without being in PP mode for discrimination purposes, but it is a bit of a hassle to have to hold down the switch while pinpointing with the probe. Keep us posted on how it works out.

"Poker" Jim
    Jim,
    Yes, the switch operates the same, but doesn't spring back from the PP position when you let go. You have to remember to go back to "coil" and back to "search" or "tones" before resuming the hunt. No different than any other detector though...
    "To be is to do" - Kant

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2

AWESOME POST !!!! Many thanks Warren .... That's a big help to anyone wanting to do the mod, or who might run into the need to replace a switch for whatever reason.

We should start a "Basic Repairs" thread .... I have replaced the lens cover, for example.

Include a brief "How To" like your post here, along with part numbers and source of supply.

Thanks again. GREAT JOB !!! Good hunting. Da FoX
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Platinum Member

Bronze Member

Yea i definitely would like to pick up a switch or two from whites so i can do the swap when i get the sunray probe. Although radio shack can be great I'd rather use a switch from white's its prol got a longer lifespan.
    thanks for the mod-- i had no idea that that is the way the sunray functioned on the M6
    CLAD---2008-$139.12<br />CLAD----2009<br />$6.90<br />coin#-338<br />

Detectors
    Whites DFX

I WOULD NEVER ATTEMPT SUCH A DOINGS WTG
    ARRGH!!! PIRATE BOOTY - TREASURE COIN

Detectors
    MXT Pro, M6, 6x10, 4x6, 950, Super 12

Super post with great information.
    Metal detecting is like marrage...The more you listen the more successful you will be.

Bronze Member

This is a very good tip. I will probally do the same to my XLT. I have the Sunray also. Just a quick question, tho. Is the all metal mode and the pinpoint mode the same? I have been switching mine to all metal to use as pinpoint with the sunray. Does it make a difference in the probes ability to pinpoint? Thanks, Tim

Detectors

Quote Originally Posted by Rd2nowr
    <snip> Is the all metal mode and the pinpoint mode the same? I have been switching mine to all metal to use as pinpoint with the sunray. Does it make a difference in the probes ability to pinpoint? Thanks, Tim
    Yes and no.
    For the DFX and XLT the "all metal mode" and "non-motion" mode is a mode you can achieve in the menu by turning off Silent Search, Audio Discrimination, and Mixed Mode. In this "all metal mode", your display screen will still show VDI numbers and signagraph.
    In Pinpoint mode, you simply pull the trigger on the display pod towards you. This put the machine in the "all metal" or "non-motion" mode just like the menu selection method, but your display screen now reads out target depth.
    Using the Sunray probe to pinpoint - first, even though your detector continues to display information on the screen, regardless of the mode selected, the information, such as target depth, is going to be inaccurate due to the size of the probe's coil. Second, when pinpointing in the hole, most people only listen to the audio. As the probe gets closer to the target it is going to get louder (VCO enabled), so visual information is not really needed.
    Some folks prefer to pinpoint using the probe in "search" mode or "live search" for the XLT. They say this allows them to get a better indication of the identity of the target as they dig closer to it. I have a small problem with this since the GEB setting of the detector is based on the size and type of search coil on the machine, and without going through the ground balancing routine using the probe, the GEB is going to be incorrect which would result in an incorrect VDI. I also feel that by the time I have ID'd the target to the point that I am willing to dig for it, I'm going to pull it out of the ground to see what it actually is regardless of any other input I might receive.
    Hope this helps!
    "To be is to do" - Kant

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2

Quote Originally Posted by Rd2nowr
    This is a very good tip. I will probally do the same to my XLT. I have the Sunray also. Just a quick question, tho. Is the all metal mode and the pinpoint mode the same? I have been switching mine to all metal to use as pinpoint with the sunray. Does it make a difference in the probes ability to pinpoint? Thanks, Tim
    Tim: Per User's Guide - page 12: "The trigger has a locked forward position that accomplishes the same thing as squeezing and holding it." I don't think you need to swap any switches. Just flip the switch forward when you get ready to use the Sunray to "lock" the pinpoint mode. The only suggestion I would make is to ensure ratchet pinpointing (Pro Options / Audio / Ratchet Pinpoint ) is OFF. Otherwise, ratchet poinpointing will try to diminish the size of the signal, possibly masking the size and shape of the target. (User Manual, pg 27 ) Shouldn't impact the operation of the Sunray whatsoever.

Hope this is helpful. Da FoX
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Bronze Member

I just did the swap on my M6. Took a little fabricating. seems the switch Mouser sent was made for a larger hole. the old one looked 3/8 ish the new one came in at 1/2 in, so i was unable to use the stock aluminum switch brace/bracket whatever it is. So i made one out of some scrap aluminum from some electronic equip i tore apart months ago. Ill post a pic of the switch size difference in a bit, i also had to trim the switch hole in the rubber cuff.

It all works though, and even though i just ordered my DFX and the future sunray will be attached to that, i might one day need to swap and want the locked switch option. If i never do, this switch is way more rugged looking and hopefully can take a hit better than the stock one.

Name:	M6-Switch-Swap_001-wbsm.jpg 
Views:	674 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	28825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M6-Switch-Swap_002-wbsm.jpg 
Views:	661 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	28826  
    CLAD---2008-$139.12<br />CLAD----2009<br />$6.90<br />coin#-338<br />

Bronze Member

Many thanks, Bowhunter and DaFox, for the info. I just returned form a 5 day Cruise to Mexico and had a chance to read the forum. I'll use the info on a hunt tomorrow! Tim

Detectors

Quote Originally Posted by evolx10
    I just did the swap on my M6. Took a little fabricating. seems the switch Mouser sent was made for a larger hole. the old one looked 3/8 ish the new one came in at 1/2 in, so i was unable to use the stock aluminum switch brace/bracket whatever it is. So i made one out of some scrap aluminum from some electronic equip i tore apart months ago. Ill post a pic of the switch size difference in a bit, i also had to trim the switch hole in the rubber cuff.

It all works though, and even though i just ordered my DFX and the future sunray will be attached to that, i might one day need to swap and want the locked switch option. If i never do, this switch is way more rugged looking and hopefully can take a hit better than the stock one.
    A very professional looking installation for sure!
    You'll find the DFX worlds apart from the M6. I can respect that the M6 is a great detector, but I feel naked without my DFX!
    "To be is to do" - Kant

Platinum Member

sweet sweet sweet!!!! thanks for the tips!

Detectors
    Whites DFX

Thanks for the tips!
    ARRGH!!! PIRATE BOOTY - TREASURE COIN

Platinum Member

Hmmm? I just ordered an M-6 and a DX-1 probe so it appears I will be doing this upgrade. Actually, I think I will have Kurt aka 11Joe Dirt11 do it for me. Not that i am so technically challenged but, he has the propane soldering gun and enjoys piddling around with this kind of stuff. So is the switch from Whites the same switch that is in my DFX? Just curious. I might not be using my DX-1 correctly on the DFX. I usually use the center position in the hole for identifying the target and then either pull back on the trigger or push it forward into locked position for all metal mode to locate it. I rarely push it forward into the locked position. I am still a noob DFX pilot. I have been learning on the fly since I got this thing. I might be doing some things incorrectly, but I still manage to find some cool stuff. Law of averages I guess. Thanks for the tip WVBH.

Kevin
    But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added unto you.

Detectors

Quote Originally Posted by Logos007
    Hmmm? I just ordered an M-6 and a DX-1 probe so it appears I will be doing this upgrade. Actually, I think I will have Kurt aka 11Joe Dirt11 do it for me. Not that i am so technically challenged but, he has the propane soldering gun and enjoys piddling around with this kind of stuff. So is the switch from Whites the same switch that is in my DFX? Just curious. I might not be using my DX-1 correctly on the DFX. I usually use the center position in the hole for identifying the target and then either pull back on the trigger or push it forward into locked position for all metal mode to locate it. I rarely push it forward into the locked position. I am still a noob DFX pilot. I have been learning on the fly since I got this thing. I might be doing some things incorrectly, but I still manage to find some cool stuff. Law of averages I guess. Thanks for the tip WVBH.

Kevin
    There is no single correct way to do this stuff. With the possible exception of which end of the detector you point at the ground...
    As far as using the DX-1 to locate targets in the hole, some folks (like me) prefer to use the all metal (or pinpoint) mode, while others prefer to use the search mode. Each method has its pros and cons, neither is right or wrong.
    If you prefer to use the all metal mode to locate your target with the probe, this switch swap may prove beneficial to you. I suggest using your detector and Dx-1 for a day or two before making any changes. If the stock configuration is clumsy for you, you'll know it right away.
    "To be is to do" - Kant

Detectors

Quote Originally Posted by Logos007

Kevin
    Using the DX-1 with the trigger forward (All Metal) on the DFX is the easiest and most sensitive mode. Making the switch changeout on the M6 as Warren recommended will allow you to do the same thing ....

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"

Well, I just finished this mod to my M6 so I could use the DX-1 with the trigger locked. The switch I got is huge so it took a while to drill out the holder in steps. This simple mod still took me over an hour to accomplish, but I got-r-done My local Radio Scraps store didn't carry the right 3/16" mini switch with a long enough dongle, so I ended up using a regular sized automotive switch. The switch is actually about 1 mm bigger than the inside of the switch housing, so it was a super tight fit getting it back into the hole. I used switch # 275-654. I don't recommend using this switch unless you have the tools, time and patience. Now it's time to mount the DX-1 It's also time to bring this thread back up since so many new members are getting the DX-1
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeolslyFoX
    AWESOME POST !!!! Many thanks Warren .... That's a big help to anyone wanting to do the mod, or who might run into the need to replace a switch for whatever reason.

We should start a "Basic Repairs" thread .... I have replaced the lens cover, for example.

Include a brief "How To" like your post here, along with part numbers and source of supply.

Thanks again. GREAT JOB !!! Good hunting. Da FoX
    Ilove that Idea

Detectors
    DFX 300

Great idea,
    Happiness is gold or silver in the plug

Detectors
    DFX300 with the 12'' coil, 9.5 coil, 6x10 coil, 4x6 shooter coil, and the Sun Ray DX-1 probe, Lesche Digging Tool.

I would rather be lucky then good....

1st Cor. Chapter 13

Horse Sense Is The Result Of Stable Thinking

Jim