White's Featured Customer Stories
1866 Two Cent Piece Recent Civil War and Housesite Digs Came behind a metal detecting club and found Jarnigan & James Research & Recovery September 21, 2014 Hunt Holy Cow! I really did it today!

Thread: Whites Eagle II with SL chip up grade Questions on Detector

Whites Eagle II with SL chip up grade Questions on Detector

The question I have is in the package of paper work that came with the Eagle II when I bought at an estate sale was the Eagle II manual and the Eagle II SL & S Manuel, it also had the update chip install instructions and a video tape.

The Last paper item was a loose 8 X 11 double side printed page that was marked

"Eagle Touchpad Accessing Options through Layers "
    The first Layer listed 6 preset starting programs. Instead of the 3.
    The Fourth Layer lists 7 transmitter Feqs under option 6.
    On the back side its printed
    "Explanations of Advanced Option "
    With a Revised date of 1/91 Printed in U.S.A. 5.90

My question is dose the Eagle II with the SL chip upgrade have more that 1 transmit frequencies.
    If so what are the Fegs?
    The Option 6 on my deterctor displays 00 and can be edited to 01.

My second question is the Printed "SL UPDATE NOTICE"
    stapled in to the SL Manuel states
    A) Audio option, Normal or High Mineral transmit power will not be active with the exception of changing depth meter calibration.

? what is the changes to the depth meter
    Thank you. James
    Long time white owner

Gold Member

Re: Whites Eagle II with SL chip up grade Questions on Detector

James, I'll only take a crack at the "update chip" part of your question: To my understanding, the only Eagle that ever had an update chip, was the original Eagle, circa 1987 or '88-ish. Those were the blue-box units, with the solid white coil. If you have the 950 loop type (hole in the center of the loop), then those never had an update chip during their life. (This is how I remember it anyhow)

Platinum Member

The 1987 Eagle I, White's First Digital Detector had an Update Chip which extended the sensitivity and modified some other settings to enhance performance.

Jimmy Sierra had a manual explaining the changes and tweaking the Eagle.... not sure if it is still in print. www.jimmysierra.com.

The Eagle I operates at 6.59 kHz. and is a Single Frequency Detector. The other frequencies are part of a frequency selector for combating power grid noise.

I BOUGHT AN EAGLE II SL 90 (1990). I HAVE DONE SOME RESEARCH AND HAVE FOUND OUT THAT THE EAGLE II SL WAS INTRODUCED IN 1988. IT HAD ONLY 3 PROGRAMS,COIN/JEWELERY,PROSPCTING AND BEACH. IN 1990 THE EXTRA CHIP WAS ADDED TO ACCOMIDATE 3 MORE PROGRAMS,COMPITITION HUNTING AND TWO CUSTOM PROGRAMS.I DON'T KNOW TO MUCH MORE THAN THAT. WHITES TOLD ME THIS UNIT CAN STILL BE REPAIRED IF NEEDED BY THEM ,THIS TELLS ME THAT THAY STILL HAVE PEOPLE THERE THAT COULD ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS. IF YOU HAVE AN EAGLE II SL OR SL 90 INSTRUCTION VEDIO I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN PURCHASEING A COPY FROM YOU. YOU WOULD MAKE MY DETECTING "DAY". PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT thebaker@hotmail.com HOPE I WAS OF SOME HELP. THANKS RALPH

HELLO JAMES, RALPH HERE. I WENT THROUGH SOME PAPERWORK I GOT WHEN I BOUGHT MY EAGLE II SL 90 AT A GARAGE SALE. I FOUND THE BOOKLET UNDERSTANDING EAGLE II SL 1990 EDITION BY JIMMY "SIERRA" NORMANDI.THIS EXPLAINS NEW OPTIONS FOR THE SL 90 COMPAIRED TO THE SL. SOME OTHER INFO. EAGLE 1986,EAGLE II 1987, EAGLE II SL 1988, EAGLE II SL 90 1990, SPCTRUM 1992, THE XLT 1996. IF YOU WANT I COULD MAKE A COPY OF THE BOOKLET FOR YOU. ITS ONLY 18 PAGES. IT WOULD BE NO PROBLEM. I WOULD STILL BE VERY INTERESTD IN A COPY OF THE INSTRUCTION VEDIO YOU GOT WHEN YOU BOUGHT YOURS, THATS THE ONLY THING I DID NOT GET WHEN I GOT MINE. E-MAIL ME AT thebaker@hotmail.com OR REPLY IN THIS FOREM. THANKS AGAIN RALPH

hi james im wondering if you are still interested in te booklet understanding the eagle ii sl 90 by jimmy serria. ill send it to you free, if you could make me a copy of your vedio tape. ill pay for your cost of the tape and shipping. please let me know. respond in this forum or e-mail me at thebaker@hotmail.com thanks ralph of n.j.

Platinum Member

The Eagle transmits at ONLY 6.59 kHz. I believe you can shift off the crystal on the receive portion to reduce power line interferrence or cross talk from other detectors.