White's Featured Customer Stories
Came behind a metal detecting club and found Whites MXT AllPro gets me a 1794 Liberty Cap Two Cavalry swords found with my DFX Holy Cow! I really did it today! Another great find found with the XLT

Thread: Info on Whites 5000/D GEB coinmaster detector

Gold Member

Info on Whites 5000/D GEB coinmaster detector

Hi, Folks I am new here, so howdy! To start with I no nothing about detectors, but I just got an old whites model Coinmaster 5000/D GEB ser#176480 from my father in law. [attach=1]I need some help getting it checked out and going. It was made in Sweet Home Oregon and it's as much or more than twenty years old. It has not a scratch on it and look new except for a little dust. The control box metal is rectangular and is blue. There is a red faced intensity meter and 8 dials It also has a plain white "head" and it just says whites on it. I don't know how it works or even if it works because it does not have a battery in it. Anyone know what sort of battery it needs? type voltage etc. It has a door on the back that opens down to reveal a small white plastic compartment for the battery and I could also see the end of circuit board. [attach=2]It looks all good and may be a solid state design? Anyway it has a single pair of twisted wires there with what looks like a connector for a 9 volt battery. Like a snap on type of clip for a battery. Also if anyone knows where I could get an operators/owners manual for it or download one online it would help. Then if it works you all can help me get going on this finding stuff, like my coins or rings and other stuff I am always losing. Let me know if anyone wants any more info on this detector. Harley

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whites 001.jpg 
Views:	1223 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	19852   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whites 002.jpg 
Views:	1281 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	19853  

Re: Info on Whites 5000/D GEB coinmaster detector

You can download a manual for it at Whites Website, I have one just like it and found many things with it, it was the first detector I owned and all the lettering is worn off but it still works!

Gold Member

I can't tell from the pix if it's a series I or series II. The side of the box would tell that (the pix of the controls is too blurry). If it's a series II (circa early '80s), then it's an alright machine. If it's a series I, it's a dinasour (circa mid to late '70s)

Detectors
    DFX, Golden uMax, Eldorado, Troy X5

Tom, are you saying that the one in my closet is a dinosaur? That was funny although not as funny as trying to keep it ground balanced in bad ground. That was the beginning, for me at least, of hunting in all metal.
    I'm not certain what throw away battery it takes. There is a battery pack for it I believe. I have two rechargeables that still hold a charge and the unit still operates.
    BW
    BW

Gold Member

OK, Thanks for the help on the manual. So now I just need to know the operating voltage. Its either 9v. or 12 v? Like either 6 or 8 1.5v AA batteries. As far as if its a series I or II machine, I have a no idea. [attach=3] but now you can see what I see. It has an 8" diameter loop. [attach=4] There are no marking indicating a series number on it. Thanks Harley
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whites 003.jpg 
Views:	1379 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	19868   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whites 004.jpg 
Views:	1125 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	19869  

Gold Member

Thanx for posting the pix of the side. You've got the series I. Not only is TR disc. very outdated, but Whites TR disc. wasn't very good to begin with (other brand's had better depth, smoother, etc... in those days). However, the all-metal mode is still competitive, since that hasn't changed much. VLF all-metal is still the pinpoint/all metal of today's machines. The trouble is though, there's not a lot of places you'd want to hunt in all-metal, except perhaps the cleaner touristy beaches? Reason is, you probably at least want to pass nails and iron. The 5000d series one stopped being sold at the advent of the 6000d, in about 1978-ish.

Detectors
    M6

That brings back memories! That was MY first detector too. I split with my Grandad in 1976 for it. Never found too much. Went off to college a couple years later and we can't even remember who had it last. Never found it again. But I always loved Whites, and 30 years later I went back to Whites and bought the M6. Now I'm really hooked!

Hey, maybe that's mine you have there!

Indy!
    “Today’s the Day!” Motto of Mel Fisher, world's most famous Greatest Treasure Hunter

Detectors
    MXT With 6x9 loop

welcome to the forum !!! looks like a great starter machine to me !!!
    Dig it all... Sort it out later......

Detectors
    mxt/xlt

only thing you gotta do is find one nice ring with a diamond
    you can upgrade that machine in a snap
    good luck....
    Every dog has his day

Hi.

The manual says 12V on the battery pack

Detectors
    M6, Surf PI Pro, Prizm IV

It takes one 8 cell battery holder (P/N 523-0006 - $3.95) and there is also a rechargeable nicad battery (P/N 512-0023 - $30.00) and two chargers available (P/N 509-0024 - $24.95 - has overnight and fast charge options or P/N 509-0012 - $ 14.95).

I would suggest ordering the 8 cell battery holder just to see if the unit is still working. If it works out for you then you can invest in the rechargeable battery and charger. You can order them on the White's website.

HH - Andrea

Gold Member

Thanks a heap for all your helpful suggestions and info. I got it going today and hit a snag. I don't know if its fatal or not. Well, I put in the battery pack from Radio Shack and it immediately started to up sounded like a small horn. All good so far... then I went to set the ground balance and found that the dial was stuck right at 4.5 on the scale. I tried to gently turn the knob with pliers but no go. I also tried to pry off the plastic knob but only chip ed the skirt on the knob. Any ideas? Its been sitting unused for over twenty years. I toyed around with it untuned with the sensitivity dial set so it would just drone audibly and was able to get a hit on a sprinkler head that II did not know I had. Also found my wedding ring on the rug. So I guess it works on its own terms. Any ideas? HArley

You can see me in action on you tube using the 5000D. Look up NoPurpleCar (username) This winter I purchased an XLT and have used it about 7 times so far and my clad count is really climbing!

Gold Member

Hi All, I am still trying to solve the stuck ground balance pot. Got a replacement from Whites but have not got it installed yet. It is soldered in to the CB by three stakes. after I get it installed and tuned I will post results here. Nopurplecar, Thanks for the video, and I can see now that it can locate coins. Anyone find any gold with one of these, if so what setting are recommended. Still haven't figured which manual to print off. My unit is series one and didn't notice instructions for it on the Whites site. Thanks to all of you for lending a hand. Cheers, Whynot