Thread: When did they stop making silver coins?

Detectors
    DFX

When did they stop making silver coins?

I have a 1965 quarter I found yesterday. Some one once told me ( I think ) it is 1964 the last year they made the silver coins. Can anyone correct me? Thanks DFX MAN
    DFX MAN

Detectors
    M6

Re: When did they stop making silver coins?

Yep, 64 on dimes and quarters.

Halves were more complicated... From Wikepedia...
    The Kennedy half dollar was struck in 90% silver in 1964. The following year, this was changed to silver-clad, with the silver content lowered to 40%. In 1971, the circulation coinage composition was changed a final time, eliminating the silver, and using the copper-nickel clad standard common to the dollar, quarter, and dime. Bicentennial half dollars dated 1776-1976 were produced in the years 1975 and 1976 in the copper-nickel clad composition for circulation and proof and also in the 40% silver composition in uncirculated and proof versions for inclusion in special collector sets. When the United States Mint started producing silver proof sets in 1992, the Kennedy half dollar included in them had the same composition as the coins of 1964.
    Indy!
    “Today’s the Day!” Motto of Mel Fisher, world's most famous Greatest Treasure Hunter

Detectors
    DFX

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRob!
    Yep, 64 on dimes and quarters.

Halves were more complicated... From Wikepedia...
    The Kennedy half dollar was struck in 90% silver in 1964. The following year, this was changed to silver-clad, with the silver content lowered to 40%. In 1971, the circulation coinage composition was changed a final time, eliminating the silver, and using the copper-nickel clad standard common to the dollar, quarter, and dime. Bicentennial half dollars dated 1776-1976 were produced in the years 1975 and 1976 in the copper-nickel clad composition for circulation and proof and also in the 40% silver composition in uncirculated and proof versions for inclusion in special collector sets. When the United States Mint started producing silver proof sets in 1992, the Kennedy half dollar included in them had the same composition as the coins of 1964.
    Indy!
    Thanks for the heads up. Also the info on the Kennedy 1/2 dollar. I recently found a 1964 Kennedy 1/2 dollar. Good info to know. Thanks. DFX MAN
    DFX MAN

Detectors
    M6

To bring up another point, I see guys lament so much about the 65 quarters they dig up, as just missing silver, but it don't make sense. I have 2 or 3 `65 quarters in my pocket right now. If I dropped one tomorrow and you dug it up next week, it don't mean that it's been buried for 40 years, or that it's buried next to the silvers.

65's are just as common as 95's in my experience!

Indy!
    “Today’s the Day!” Motto of Mel Fisher, world's most famous Greatest Treasure Hunter

Well 1964 is the last year but there a few 1965 dimes out there that were mistakes and are silver
    Coin: 1965 Silver Dime
    Estimated Value: $9000+

Background: The official production of silver dimes were discontinued in 1964. Begginning in 1965 dimes were made out of copper and nickel. A silver 1965 dime is a mistake (and a rare one).

Only a few have been found, but more are believed to still be in circulation.

How to spot it: The silver coin has a silver edge; the common copper/nickel coin has a strip of brown around the edge.

Weight: A silver dime weighs 2.50 grams, while a copper/nickel dime weighs 2.27 grams
    If at first you don't succeed , get the Gov to bail you out !!

Quote Originally Posted by fastfwd
    Well 1964 is the last year but there a few 1965 dimes out there that were mistakes and are silver

Background: The official production of silver dimes were discontinued in 1964. Begginning in 1965 dimes were made out of copper and nickel. A silver 1965 dime is a mistake (and a rare one).

How to spot it: The silver coin has a silver edge; the common copper/nickel coin has a strip of brown around the edge.

Weight: A silver dime weighs 2.50 grams, while a copper/nickel dime weighs 2.27 grams
    Now if I could just find one!!!!
    I live my life one target at a time since '67

Detectors
    DFX,XLT,MXT,GMT

I did get a 67 in change yesterday, BUT I agree with just missing silver at 64. Especially when I have to dig 4-5" to get it! I have not found that many fresh 60ish drops on top. I go with it ticks me off SILVER BRAGGER!

Detectors
    DFX

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRob!
    To bring up another point, I see guys lament so much about the 65 quarters they dig up, as just missing silver, but it don't make sense. I have 2 or 3 `65 quarters in my pocket right now. If I dropped one tomorrow and you dug it up next week, it don't mean that it's been buried for 40 years, or that it's buried next to the silvers.

65's are just as common as 95's in my experience!

Indy!
    I too have seen 65 quarters in pocket change. But the 65 I found was about 5 1/2 inches in the ground and it was pretty much covered with the green patina you see on coins that have been in the ground for a long time.. DFX MAN
    DFX MAN

Detectors
    DFX

Quote Originally Posted by fastfwd

Thanks for the info. I will now always check the 65 dimes. Thanks. DFX MAN
    DFX MAN

Exalted One
    Detectors
    M6

Yup,,,,any 65 dime or qtr. that's 5 or 6" deep in the ground constitutes a NEAR MISS for me!!!!!
    I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day,,,, tomorrow is not looking good either.

Detectors
    V3i, TDI, Surf PI DF, BeachHunter 300

thanks for the info!!!
    May the ground greet your shovel, the sun warm your face, and may all your targets be treasures!

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"

It seems that the 65's were the worst year made
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Retired Member

From what I have read in some coin magazines in the past, they made the silver coins with the date 1964 up until early 1965.