White's Featured Customer Stories
Coinmaster does it again! Early Massachusetts Militia button McClellan VS. Lincoln Deeper isn't always older MXT Comes Through Again

Thread: How many pull tabs to make one pound?

How many pull tabs to make one pound?

Just for fun, does anyone know how many pull tabs required to make one pound? I weighed some on my gold scales & I think I know the answer. I also know there different variety's that weigh more than the modern ones. Prices here are @ 40 cents lb. Anyone want to guess ho many per pound ?please post it.

Silver Member

Re: How many pull tabs to make one pound?

It will obviously depend on the pull tab. The only two types of tabs I have here at home is from two brands of beer. For one pound of them to make an avdp. pound it's 1130... for a Troy lb., 1280.
    I have a bunch in my coin/trash pouch in the trunk of my Co. car, but it's at work. Just for the heck of, itI'll bring them home tomorrow and check again with those averaged in also...
    How does that compare to what you came up with?
    DW

Silver Member

I think you and I have too much slack time on our hands...
    DW

Bronze Member

gotten from a site that collects pop tops (i am assuming they are the modern soda can tabs) for ronald mcDonald house charities.....

"Pop tabs support the operations of Ronald McDonald Houses across the country. Ronald McDonald House receives between 35? and 50? per pound based on the market price of aluminum. There are approximately 763 tabs per pound. The tab of an aluminum can is pure aluminum, unlike the rest of the can, which contains paint and other metals. Recycling the tabs helps pay for house operations. Pop tabs are small and convenient to collect."
    White's Spectrum Xlt, 9.5 stock coil, bigfoot coil, Modified white's bullseye pinpointer

Silver Member

I re-did this very informative and highly educational project this afternoon when I got home from work. I took 20 tabs from a mixture of beer and pop cans and weighed each of them individually and then took the average. The average was 4.5 grains per tab.

On one McDonalds site, they show it takes approx. 1267 tabs to a pound.
    ( http://www.ronhouserochmn.org/volunt...ptab_text.html )

And then from yet another McDonalds site (educational quiz for kids) they show 1552 tabs to a pound.
    ( http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:3...bs+weigh&hl=en )

But then Jim in Mo. shows somethiong like 763 tabs per lb. that he got somewhere. It appears to be all over the board.

The differences apparently depends largely on the type of tabs and maybe how much dirt etc. is in w/them when they get weighed...

In my very scientific and highly accurate test results here in the ?Tab-Lab?? I show it to take 1129 tabs of todays style of beer and pop can tabs to make one avdp. pound or 1280 for a Troy. Everyone elses scales apparently need to be re-calibrated...

So Stoneman, you seem to have sort of crept out the back door on this... What's your answer? I hope we all learned something from this.

DW

Quote Originally Posted by DW in Id.
    I re-did this very informative and highly educational project this afternoon when I got home from work.? I took 20 tabs from a mixture of beer and pop cans and weighed each of them individually and then took the average.? The average was 4.5 grains per tab.

On one McDonalds site, they show it takes approx. 1267 tabs to a pound.?
    (? http://www.ronhouserochmn.org/volunt...tab_text.html? )

And then from yet another McDonalds site (educational quiz for kids) they show 1552 tabs to a pound.?
    (? http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:3...s+weigh&hl=en? )

But then Jim in Mo. shows somethiong like 763 tabs per lb. that he got somewhere.? It appears to be all over the board.

The differences apparently depends largely on the type of tabs and maybe how much dirt etc. is in w/them when they get weighed...

In my very scientific and highly accurate test results here in the ?Tab-Lab I show it to take 1129 tabs of todays style of beer and pop can tabs to make one avdp. pound or 1280 for a Troy.? Everyone elses scales apparently need to be re-calibrated...?

So Stoneman, you seem to have sort of crept out the back door on this...? What's your answer?? I hope we all learned something from this.

DW HEY I hope my gold scales are accurate. They say 11 modern soda pull tabs= 1/10th of an ounce X 110 tabs = one oz. X 16 =1760 per pound?

Silver Member

You?re right on, Stoneman. Your Gold scales are accurate.
    But I assume since your scales are Gold scales, their giving you the weight in ?Troy? oz. weight because that?s how Gold will typically be weighed. If you take the 1760 answer and convert it to US weight, it will show 1553 tabs, (1760 x 0.8828571). (I don?t remember what percentage I was used last night but it obviously wasn?t the right one).

I finally just got a bottle of powder and looked to see how many grains are in a ?standard US pound? rather than continue to screw around w/Troy weights. It?s 7000 which super simplifies things.

Out of 20 tabs, I got an ?average? of 4.5 grains on my powder scale.
    In normal US weight, 7000 ? 4.5 is 1555. Both of these amounts are right at what the McDonalds ?quiz? page showed.

DW

Silver Member

I weighed 16 oz. of pulltabs and it came out to be a pound. Does this help? As for the exact quantity...I would say there was a sh*tload! Give or take. Or, in other words, the amount of pulltabs I can find in one afternoon of hunting. Ha ha. Why are we even discussing this Hey, maybe one day, if we put these tabs away...they may be worth a fortune. I think we do have too much time on our hands for this topic, even though I find it fascinating. What about European pulltabs vs American? We would have to calculate the current exchange rate to get today's value. Maybe McDonald's should offer a program of like turning in 10,000 pulltabs and you get a large fry, or something like that. Just my thoughts on this very interesting topic. I love it!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate88179
    I weighed 16 oz. of pulltabs and it came out to be a pound.? Does this help?? As for the exact quantity...I would say there was a sh*tload!? Give or take.? Or, in other words, the amount of pulltabs I can find in one afternoon of hunting.? Ha ha.? Why are we even discussing this? Hey, maybe one day, if we put these tabs away...they may be worth a fortune.? I think we do have too much time on our hands for this topic, even though I find it fascinating.? What about European pulltabs vs American?? We would have to calculate the current exchange rate to get today's value.? Maybe McDonald's should offer a program of like turning in 10,000 pulltabs and you get a large fry, or something like that.? Just my thoughts on this very interesting topic.? I love it!

Bill well, I used my gold scales alright but I figured 110 tabs X 16 oz. = 1760 per lb. if I did 110 X 12 (troy oz. =1344. So now what? I could also do it by the gram or penny weight. which I would defiantly get troy weight & then add 25%? to get long pound ? = 1680. 20 dwt = 1 troy oz

Speaking of Pull-Tabs...
    Have you guys seen something like this before?
    It is a Ladies Belt made of Pull-Tabs. My sister-in-law was wearing it one day and let me borrow it to take pictures and post them here. I thought it was cool and very interesting.
    She told me she paid $12.00 for it. I counted 127 pull tabs and they stay together with ribbons.
    If you do the math, each pull-tab would be worth about 10 cents.
    Pretty cool, Huh?
    Attached Images

Silver Member

That's definately a different use of pull tabs. It's pretty neat though. That's sure a good picture.
    DW