White's Featured Customer Stories
Burlington Northern Rail Road Buckle Thanks again White's Silver and Gold together 1st gold of the year TWO GOOD WEEKENDS

Thread: White's 5900/Di Pro Metal detector beach problem

Detectors
    MXT with Eclipse 3.5

White's 5900/Di Pro Metal detector beach problem

I have a White's 5900/Di Pro Metal detector which I've had for a long time and now. Its new and I only used it once. I am just starting to us it. I am a beginner at this so hear is my question and problem. I went to the beach and had all the setting on P per the instruction manual. After pressing the trigger with the loop waist level and releasing it (To set the ground balance), I lowered the search loop inches from the sand and started searching. After a few sweeps with the loop the needle pegged out to the right (No sound from the headphones). I had to reset the ground balance again to start over. It did it again time after time. The detector works fine in normal dirt area's like camp grounds ect. HELP ANYONE PLEASE!!

Detectors
    MXT, HeadHunter Wader

Re: White's 5900/Di Pro Metal detector beach problem

Don't know why this thread was locked, so I unlocked it.

On another note, I am not familiar with that detector, but the ground balance procedure you
    described doesn't sound right. Maybe someone experienced with that detector will jump in
    now that the thread is unlocked.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad catapultum saxum immane mittam.
    I have a catapult. Give me all the money or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Welcome to the forum Timmmmer.....

I don't have a clue as to help you...but I'm sure there will be some others on here who can....

Welcome to the forum, Rudy is right, I don't think you are doing the ground balance correctly. Need to read the manual again. Also while you were at the beach, were you searching going from dry to wet sand? It also sounds like you may have a headphone/connection problem.
    I live my life one target at a time since '67

Detectors
    MXT with Eclipse 3.5

Thanks for the response. My headphones were working fine. The sand was mostly wet. I will read the manual again and try the setting again. Thxs once again.

Detectors
    Me: TDI, DFX, XLT, XL Pro, BHID 300, Surf P.I. (Plus), 6000 Di Pro (blue box)

First, ground balance your detector on the dry sand and then switch to GEB Disc and start searching. You can work from wet to dry if you stay in GEB Disc. If you choose to work in GEB Norm or Max, you must work parallel to the water's edge to keep the same amount of moisture uner the detector at all times.
    To set the ground balance:
    Set tuner at the 'P' or higher
    Set mode to GEB Norm
    with the coil waist high, press and release the trigger
    lower the coil to the ground
    if the sound increases, turn your GEB counterclockwise
    if the sound decreases, turn your GEB clockwise
    lift the coil waist high and press the trigger
    lower the coil to the ground
    if the sound increases, turn your GEB counterclockwise
    if the sound decreases, turn your GEB clockwise
    keep doing this until there is no increase or decrease in the sound as the coil contacts the ground
    once balance is achieved, set mode to GEB disc
    adjust tuner until hum is barely audible

Pinpointing in the conventional manner won't work. If you pull the trigger (switching to all metal mode), the sound will blare and blank out any signal.
    With the trigger squeezed, lower the coil to the wet sand away from the location of the target and while you have it resting on the sand, release the trigger for a few seconds and then hold the trigger down again. Now the audio blare will go silent and allow you to slip the coil over the target area and pinpoint. This will reduce the total depth capable in the all metal mode but will allow you to eliminate the blare.

Hope this helps
    "To do is to be" - Nietzche
    "To be is to do" - Kant
    "Do Be Do Be Do" - Scooby Doo

Platinum Member

The Preset is for average conditions. Beaches becaue of mineralization present a tougher problem and require more precision tuning. Reducing your sensitivity may solve your problem.

Hey timmmmer I have had a 5900 for years I believe it is one of the best detectors out there. Mine does the same thing yours is doing all the time and here are some of the things you need to adjust. First. on the knob that says Tuner turn it a little past P until you here a buzz then stop. Second. you will need to adjust your bad ground knob a little past P if number one does not help so you may have to do both. This problem you are having is because the minerals in wet sand. 90% of my detecting is on beaches and this detector kicks but on the beach. You just have to stay away from sand at the waters edge. Hope this helps. Ryan

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2
    Your detector is a single frequency (6.592Khz) unit. It maintains only one ground balance point - not two like Spectra and DFX.

If you want to work in the wet sand, which is conductive, you should work in All Metal GEB / GEB MAX mode, and do your ground balance in the wet sand. Keep the coil about an inch above the sand and work slow. All metal mode doesn't require motion, and you'll be seein' all targets.

Workin' wet sand with a single frequency unit takes patience and practice, but it can be productive.

The "rule of thumb" for single frequency detectors is to "ground balance in the medium you're working". EG:. "Balance in the wet - work the wet. Balance in the dry - work the dry".

Hope this is helpful. Da FoX
    Last edited by deolslyfox; 07-14-2010 at 07:42 AM.
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.

Detectors
    Whites GMT with the 6x10dd coil,, Whites DFX, W/950, 6x10dd, 4x6dd,super 12 coils. DX-1 and 120 Bullseye pinpointer,, Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones..... M6 is gone, But not forgotton"
    This is a 2 1/2 year old post
    Ineptocracy [in-ep-toc'-ra-cy] - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers. There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

FNH FNX 40

Detectors
    V3i / VX3 / DFX / MXT Pro / M6 / 6T / CM GT / XLT / BH 300 / SURF PI DF / 6000D S2
    That's nothin' - its a 20 year old machine ...
    If there's anything I hate worse than diggin' pulltabs, its missin' a gold ring.