PDA

View Full Version : Legal Detecting areas in Washington

socks
10-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Hi all,

well I just bought a DFX & am ready to go. Have been reading about Washington City & State Parks, but not sure what I can do. My question is do I need some sort of permit to go to city, county, state parks, grasss strips, etc.? How do you approach going onto someone's land. What about "ghost towns", old mining areas.
I plan mostly to be in the Seattle (King County) & Ocean Shores (Grays Harbor)

Thanks for any help -

JQ

deolslyfox
10-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Check with the Parks and Recs or the local police station when in doubt. ESPECIALLY on State-owned property ....

Good luck and good hunting.

Reeseb
10-16-2011, 03:57 PM
What Fox said. Here's what I know:

State parks are super picky here:

1) Permit needed

2) Fee for hunting/parking there (Discover Pass)

3) Area restrictions

4) Find restrictions: Anything over a certain dollar amount must be turned in. You can get it back if you prove due diligence in finding the owner (newspaper 'found' ads required) and you pay a percentage of the value to the state. Anything of historic value must be surrendered.

In the City of Renton it is illegal to metal detect - period.

I have found County parks to be metal detector-friendly but some require a permit.

Always ask in person to hunt on private land and make sure the person you ask is the OWNER. The White's site has a form you can use as 'proof' of permission after you get permission and are hunting. http://whiteselectronics.com/permission.html

Parking strips are subject to the City so call before you dig.

Hope this helps.

socks
10-16-2011, 04:53 PM
How come we are able to hunt at MBeach?

What Fox said. Here's what I know:

State parks are super picky here:

1) Permit needed

2) Fee for hunting/parking there (Discover Pass)

3) Area restrictions

4) Find restrictions: Anything over a certain dollar amount must be turned in. You can get it back if you prove due diligence in finding the owner (newspaper 'found' ads required) and you pay a percentage of the value to the state. Anything of historic value must be surrendered.

In the City of Renton it is illegal to metal detect - period.

I have found County parks to be metal detector-friendly but some require a permit.

Always ask in person to hunt on private land and make sure the person you ask is the OWNER. The White's site has a form you can use as 'proof' of permission after you get permission and are hunting. http://whiteselectronics.com/permission.html

Parking strips are subject to the City so call before you dig.

Hope this helps.

Reeseb
10-16-2011, 05:42 PM
It's a County park and there is no station to check in with. I've never had a problem with a park like that.

One good reason for checking in wherever possible is that the parks keep track of it (I was told that by a park employee) and if they find that few or no people check in they may decide prohibit metal detecting due to lack of interest (I was told that, too). And once they do that I figure it will be hard to get it back.

Nitro 54
10-16-2011, 06:39 PM
You should be good to go at most city parks or schools

Kim
10-16-2011, 07:03 PM
We need to pay our 6.00 for A city permit in green bay. Cant hunt on DNR or State land at all unless you lost somthing.

giant056
10-17-2011, 12:51 AM
The laws are getting worse here in Michigan, no state land unless designated for metal detecting (only about half the state parks) but all other state land is off limits, even in the middle of the woods. You might check for city properties, they can be a great spot to find some good stuff along with the county parks.

Triple Nickel
02-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Hi all,

well I just bought a DFX & am ready to go. Have been reading about Washington City & State Parks, but not sure what I can do. My question is do I need some sort of permit to go to city, county, state parks, grasss strips, etc.? How do you approach going onto someone's land. What about "ghost towns", old mining areas.
I plan mostly to be in the Seattle (King County) & Ocean Shores (Grays Harbor)

Thanks for any help -

JQ

Download and print this form for hunting in WA state parks...http://www.parks.wa.gov/publications/other/Metal%20Detecting%20brochure.pdf It's self explanitory...

johnedoe
04-26-2012, 06:32 AM
Used to be a free country........................................ Now becoming more and more Orwellian.