PDA

View Full Version : Montana,,?

DustyRoundup
11-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Howdy,
i figured if your in Montana, youd read this .
I have looked pretty hard and cant seem to find a club in Mt.
i do know the guys in anaconda, but they arent really a club.
I would like to get together with other people once in a while to learn more about detecting and if for nothing else , to shoot the bull with others , that have the same interests.
I also think it would be a little bit more motivating to get out.
And , judging by other states M.D. Clubs, it looks like there are some good times to be had.
I am currently in the process of trying to put together a club, in S.W. Montana.
It takes 5 members to join up with the FDMAC, from what i gather so far.
I am also contacting other clubs to look at theyre guidelines, and structure.
If anyone in Montana would be interested in helping to form a club, or simply would join a club, please contact me .

Thanks for your time ,
Sincerely,
Dusty

JerseyDevil
11-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Welcome aboard Dusty!What are you swinging?

deolslyfox
11-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Welcome to the forum !!

Nitro 54
11-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Welcome to the forum ,, We don't have many members from your state.. FDMAC should be able to give you a list of all clubs in your state or general area..

DustyRoundup
11-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the welcome aboard,
Jersey, Im swingin an MXT.
I purchased it last FEB, just a few months before news of the the MXT PRO came out.
LOL,, but thats OK, I am 100% pleased with my machine. I bought the 'EDGE" book by Mr. Foster,
And wow! ! What a Machine . There is soo much to learn about its capabilities.
Thanks again for the welcome
Dusty

JerseyDevil
11-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Sounds like you have the right equipment and book to get you started in the right direction.The MXT is a fine detector.Good luck!

plarson
11-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Dave
11-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Welcome to the Forum

DustyRoundup
12-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Howdy All,
Well, it seems the first posts had alot of views, but no interest?
I am determined, to start a club. LOL , heres the update.
I feel, if there were a club, it would be a good source for

A) New detectorists to learn the laws of our state concerning our hobby.Fed, State, County and City laws will be in a monthly newsletter.
they can also learn M.D.ing Ethics, and meet others of the same interests, and possibly find hunting buddies.
Also to have fun at mini hunts and competition hunts.

B) For the Veteran detectorist, you all have alot to offer. we need you.
But , what would you get out of it?
There will be, at least 1 Competition hunt per year, with prizes.
There will also be, a few "Mini -Hunts" throughout the summer.
And , there will be a "Best find of the month " contest at the monthly meetings.

I would like it to be known. I am just trying to get this started. The club, will be run as a club.
What we make of it , is what we get. By-laws, Officers, Events, meeting times, "Club Name" etc, are all up to "The Club " as a whole.
I'll do anything I can , to make things happen.

I will be setting up a rough draft of a monthly newsletter in the next 2 months. The newsletter will be out by March. It may be short ,to start with.
Currently, I am thinking it wise to base the first meeting in BUTTE. Meeting to be held the first part of April.
Any and All help would be Greatly Appreciated.

Also, I would like to state, I am only trying to get things rolling. I may not do things perfect the first time.
Take for example the first newsletter, all I can do is give it my best shot.
If Anyone wants to take over something I am doing, I will gladly step back.

Thanks for your time,
Sincerely
Dusty

deolslyfox
12-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Good luck !! I hope you get it going !!

IDXit
12-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Yep, good luck and I hope all works out well for you...[thumbsup] Happy hunting and stay warm out there..[sunny]

Nitro 54
12-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Getting your club going is going to be a lat of hard work.. Good luck

DustyRoundup
12-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Thanks,
I know its going to be tough, but, Oh well,
I think if a few of us get together, and make something happen, then others will come around.
I think , if there were a competition hunt , around here , and advertised well in advance. I bet, there would be a few people coming out the woodwork.
We'll see, besides, all I can do is try, and if it doesnt happen, it doesnt happen.
Thanks for the support,
Dusty

Dave
12-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Stay on it !! Good Luck Dusty !!

Silversmith45
12-06-2010, 04:07 PM
I was going to suggest that you expand your search, but I see you already have. I think you're off to a good start.

DustyRoundup
12-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Howdy all,

Ok, this is what Ive come up with so far.
I'm just trying to get this thing going, and dont seem to be getting a heck of alot of feedback.

But, thus far, I have come up with this plan of action. It will all be confirmed on paper in contract form for the parties concerned,
The contracts are to assure that everything will be as planned .

I will have a newsletter out in March 2011, and i will post it everywhere I can, from Missoula, to Bozeman (east to west) and Helena to Dillon (north to south)
It will state that there will be a "Group Outing" in late May, or early June.
The Outing will be held on private ground, where an old stage coach stop was located. ( permission in writing , from landowner)
Location,,Big Hole Valley Montana

I am also looking at getting a donation, of a door prize.
The door prize will be of a decent value.
I have a local Whites dealer that might help with that.
If he doesnt , I will.

I'm thinking, Everybody that signs up to join and help form a club, will be eligible for the door prize.
To be held as a drawing.

So, what do you think?

Dusty

Nitro 54
12-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Your trying ... Unless your in a big town, I don't think your going to get much interest. Good luck

Rokdodger
01-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Dusty You've got a good idea! Would love to help--But--I'm in Libby(northwest corner of Montana) thats at least a 6.5 hr. drive just to Butte. I'm still working full time,envolved in Church activeties, the libby archery club(also a FWP bow hunting instructor)-going to 3d shoots, church conventions and the like--also still have a son at home. SOOO I'm still just a little busy, so much so that I feel cheated! I don't have enough time to detect as much as I would like. Right now we've still got about 12 inches of snow on the ground!
Maybe you could contact Allen in MT He's got a detecting shop in Ronan(I think its Ronan, maybe Polson), he may be of some help! send him a pm If you ever get up north--give me some advance notice, and maybe we could go tectin for a day! Blessings to all! rokdodger

DustyRoundup
02-07-2011, 08:00 AM
Howdy Rok,

Dang, I lived in Libby for 6 years , But I didnt detect back then. Sure is a Nice town, I kind of miss her(Libby).

Anyhow, thanks for the interest.
And I have talked to Allen in Polson, he is an alright guy !..

Well, I have about 12 people interested in this idea of a club. 9 are from out of town.
So, as the time nears, plans are starting to form, for the first "get together" / "outing"

Basically , here it is, so far. (still subject to change)

A planned outing for June (or July) 2011

A Montana Metal Detectors, Treasure Hunt / B.B.Q., Potluck

Will be a hunt on private land , where an old stage stop used to be.
Location ; Big Hole Valley , Mt.
Duration ;2 days
Lodging; Pintlar Lake campground , NO FEE Camping.
Bar-B-Que; One evening, I will BBQ at the campground.

I figure this, since most people would drive a few hours, they could hunt 2 days ,
and camp out for free within 15 miles of hunt site.
But some may choose to hunt 1 day, so with BBQ food just up the road a bit,
hopefully that would be a way to draw them into camp, to relax and eat,
and discuss making this a club, or just leave it as an OUTING.

There are also numerous other areas to Detect, (Heck, I found my 1901 Barber at same campground last year)

And, I am an avid rockhound, so I will be more than happy to share info, on where to find petrified wood, Epidote,
Quartz Crystals, Garnets, etc in the area.
Also, if you are properly licensed, the Lake has some Dolly Varden and Brook trout,
And the creek coming out has Brookies too

So, theres alot of fun to be had.

Any input or help from anyone , would still be greatly apreciatted.
Dusty

DustyRoundup
03-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Howdy all,
Well , I figured I'd start a new thread.
I confirmed on the phone, with the Landowner, of the "STAGE STOP " site, that we can hunt it.

Heres the deal. As soon as he's done calving , I have to meet with him , and I have to have a witness, as to the fact that I am accepting full responsibility. That I am LIABLE.

He is not going to charge us , but " if we find a pot of gold , he wants half"

Concerns of his are,
WEED seeds: :from our vehicles ,on his ground. I suggested we could walk
in ,and maybe let 1 vehicle ferry people back and forth.
he said he has a way to do it,

Holes: : He doesnt want holes, that a cow or horse can trip in, so we
have to treat it like a park in town.

Grass: :Its pretty hard to grow out there, so he's concerned about
the damage, so we'll have to do plugs, like we would in a park
And , he asked , me , if I'd follow you all around , and sprinkle
a little grass seed in areas we dig. I agreed, and I would hope
You all would help, by doing this also. Grass seed is light .

Junk: : If we dig up a piece of junk, it has to go out. and if we see a
piece of wire, or junk on the ground, to please haul it out.
Basically , anything that could cut or trip up a cow/ horse / tire

I agreed to theses things, and I will assume the responsibility to make sure they are fulfilled.

If you all still want to do this, I guess you'll have to agree to follow suit.
I dont really want to do this guy wrong, when he is nice enough to let a group of people , that he doesnt even know, play in his pasture.
And I dont want to spend extra days of my time cleaning up.

He also agreed to us using his ground, for the Competition hunt.

I asked for either the first or second weekend of june, he agreed.

So thats set.

Now , the Forest Service, and camping out.

Originally, I asked to camp AND do the Competition hunt. and was directed to the head Geologist of ALL areas. And was told NO.

I called the District in question again, and asked STRICLY, camping, one night, "whats the number of people allowed as a group? " I was told to call a guy tomorrow.
And I will.

otherwise, we could do as someone suggested , and split up. As there are numerous campgrounds in the area. and there are numerous "campsites" along the road into the campground.

I'm doing my best to keep us close, so we can have that BBQ.
Theres a guy coming that makes BBQ sauce, for market, so I'm looking forward to that.
He also said he'd do breakfast for us.

Oh , last but not least, I talked to Tim from "Team ATC"
(They put out the "Extreme Metal Detecting Videos")
He said they would donate a few items for prizes, and if they arent off running around the country, they will be there.
He said they would help newb's with tips etc.

We've got a bunch of OLD coins, for the hunt, Silver Dollars, Indian head pennies, Buff Nickels, V-Nickels, an old worn out standing liberty quarter?
a few "STEEL Wheaties 1943, and some older wheaties.
And there will be more i am sure.
I also have a few ladys prizes, so if the wife wants to come along , we have a few prizes for them.

It should be FUN !!!!!!!!
its all coming together.
so we need to figure out which weekend ??????
the "first" or "second" weekend in june.
Or should we let that ride depending on weather?

So far, I'm thinking we are looking at 15- 20 people.

OK WHEW!!!!! I'm done for now.

Dusty

DustyRoundup
03-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Well, we hit our allowable capacity for the hunt.
So I guess I have to cap this off.
Rokdodger, if you were thinking on making it, you are more than welcome.I'm sure we can get you in.
As it stands we are at 1 person over, on the amount of people allowed by the landowner.

I knew all winter, if I stuck to this, it would fly, and boy did it.

During this outing, we will discuss how we want this to grow.
And so far , the people that are coming, from all over the western half of the state, seem to be interested in doing more of this sort of thing.

Anyhow, I have to cap this off.

I want to let any late comers to the subject, know that theres always the possibility of someone backing out at the last minute.
And like I said , theres always a chance that there will be more.
At least I hope we all get along ,,, LOL

Take Care
Dusty

pman43
05-17-2011, 06:58 AM
I just found your posts, too late for the first hunt. I would like more info on the club, how do I contact you?

giant056
05-18-2011, 06:17 AM
A friend of mine lives in Montana now(Dave), he's a tour guide for hunting now, he's the one who really got me going in metal detecting, he came over to my house one day with a Whites 5000D back in the middle 80's and found a merc out in my front yard and from that time on I wanted to get a good detector even more, 2 years later I bought the very same detector from his brother who was still living here in town and wanted to move to Oklahoma. By this time Dave was living in Colorado as a hunting guide, he lived there about 10 or 12 years and then packed up lock stock and barrel, moved to Montana and built a nice cabin on his freshly purchased property from lumber he made from his property that he cut up with a loaner sawmill he borrowed from a neighbor. I keep in contact with him on the internet yet and he really has been thinking seriously about buying the MXT, I'll let him know about your club cause he's in western Montana. He's definitely a cowboy and wild is putting it mildly.

DustyRoundup
05-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Howdy guys,
I just checked my email after a few weeks, and it said I had updates here. so I figured I'd better check it out.
I havent been detecting much, but the Outing is still a go.

Pman, check your private messages, I'll send you my number. Shoot , your pretty close.
You can check your private messages by clicking on the "Notifications" at top of page.
Give me a holler. any time.

Giant, Have your buddy sign up here, and give me a holler.

I better get.

Dusty