PDA

View Full Version : Oregon State Park Detecting--VALUABLE INFORMATION

Poker Jim
02-23-2009, 11:19 AM
To all Oregon hunters:

The latest list of Oregon State Parks that CAN be hunted without a permit is now on the Oregon Parks Department website. In the past, all state parks could be hunted but required a permit signed by the park manager. In my last club meeting, we talked about the ongoing fight to open up the parks so that people could responsibly metal detect there without having to deal with he park department bueracracy. So far, it has taken 5 years to get this far, but from what I have seen it is head and shoulders above what some other people in other states have to deal with.

The main thing is that we stay involved and let our appropriate representatives know how we feel about the free use of public lands. Get involved, write emails and make phone calls to our elected officials. I am attaching a link that shows what parks can be hunted without prior permission. If you favorite state park is not on the list, don't worry, you can still obtain a permit to hunt most other parks.

http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/PARKS/GoPlay/metal_detecting.shtml#Conditions_of_Use

"Poker" Jim

JeepMcMuddy
02-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks Jim, this is great info!

btw...What club are you a member of? OTTS?

Poker Jim
02-23-2009, 02:56 PM
No problem Jeep. I am a pretty new member of the Beaverstate Coinshooters based out of Albany. We meet once a month and have a club hunt once a month too.

"Poker" Jim

Nitro 54
02-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the update Jim [thumbsup]

Dave
02-23-2009, 07:19 PM
[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Bige
02-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Great resource Jim...we have recieved day permits for a few of the state parks we hit last summer

Futurejon5
03-07-2010, 10:20 AM
There are hundreds of local parks and county parks that aren't listed on the state site. Most of them if not all of them prohibit digging of any kind and one can be fined a minimum of 25$ and a maximum of 60$

I couldn't agree more. Everyone needs to get involved to open up the areas.

thumper
03-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks Jim. While I'll probably never see Oregon, its important to have this info out here for others who will!!! [cool] [cool] [cool]

steverg
04-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the link.
I live in Grants Pass, Oregon and FWIW, I can't find any city ordinance prohibiting MD.
Here's a link for Grants Pass city park rules:

http://www.grantspassoregon.gov/Index.aspx?page=1320

Josephine County park rules prohibit "Digging or defacing soil, rock, grass, tree, or any other park property."
Here's the link:

http://www.co.josephine.or.us/Page.asp?NavID=548

One could read this to prohibit MD. Maybe it would be ok if you were just probing the grass/soil and then popping out a coin...
Does anyone know more about this issue for Josephine County?
I'll post this question to the local rogue valley coin shooters and update this site if I get more info.

Thanks again!
steverg

Snake Charmer
06-04-2010, 02:44 PM
I would like to know the answer to this question as well..... we get down to Josephine county as well quite a bit....

deolslyfox
07-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Good info !! Thanks !!!

Nitro 54
10-28-2010, 05:47 PM
No need to even trying to get a State permit to detect in a State Heritage Park. I got a call back this morning turning me down flat, NO permits are available for them parks... Most of the other State parks are open to permits.